What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous plants Japan

Hi All,

Im visiting Japan for two months (July and August) does any one know of any good carnivorous plant habitats or gardens to visit in the Tokyo, Saitama or Chiba area. We are staying In Ageo Saitama with my Japanese Parents in-laws. We can travel around from there with in reason. (an hour or two by train)
Are there any Japanese members on this Forum? My wife is Japanese so she can help with the language as far as finding places etc.
I come from New Zealand by the way.

I visited Shinjuku Goyen http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Gyoen in July of 2005 while visiting Tokyo and it was nice. I was too late to visit the greenhouse, so I am not sure if you will find cp there.

I am also interested if anyone knows of any botancial gardens in Japan to see cps.

The gentleman who started this thread may be able to point you in a good direction. IIRC, he's involved with a Japanese CP Society. Enjoy your travels.

Hi,
Look for Yamada Nouen and or Hatijyou Jima.
Yamada-san has a lot of Nepenthes to sell but his price is not so good for us in developing coutry.
I am also a second generation and my uncles live in Japan.
Have a nice tripe.
Marcos Missao Ono ( My full name)

Very nice, I hear the hobby is popular in Japan!

I am also going to Japan, but for a music festival. July-August as well.. There is a botanical gardens that i read in my pamphlet that you can probably visit... i know i will. XD. Maybe we'll see each other... seeing as there is a band in N.Z going to Japan for the same festival...

Thanks for the replies.
I ended up going to the yumenoshima tropical dome near Tokyo while they were having a carnivorous plant sale. The dome itself was interesting for me as they had many interesting tropical plants but not so amazing for Cps. I also found out about a place called Togane carnivorous plant habitat in Chiba but was not able to visit there. Shinjuku Goyen glasshouses were closed for renovation for a year or 2 so that was dissipointing.
Hachijojima would be great but its so far from Tokyo it may as well be in another country.
Thanks for the help everyone I should have replied much sooner but Iv been crazy busy with my soon to be 1 year old daughter. Its all good though she seems to love plants and got all excited when I showed her photos in Stewart Macphersens glisening carnivores book. Babys are easy to please though.

Back