What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

importing...

If you purchased or obtained plants from a source that has the permits they should have provided you paperwork to prove the legal status of the plants. This should be sufficient for the Fish and Wildlife Services (US agency responsible for enforcement and issue permits). The ICPS seedbank provides such paperwork when issuing seeds from CITES Appendix I plants.

This page I found on the Palm and Cycad Societies of Florida website gives and excellent summary and almost step by step process on importing plants. It also explains the purposes and rationale of these permits and quarantines and good argument why you should import legally. I think they are inaccurate in stating the the CITES permit is only needed for Appendix I species that were wild-collected. However you do not need it if the exporter can provide paperwork from the CITES enforcement agency of their country that show proof of artificial propagation. Plants sealed in-vitro in sterile medium are usually considers as proof of artificial propagation. However stuffing an adult plant in a jar of distilled water isn't going to pass.

http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/conservation/USADAAPHISCITES.htm

It would seem your Palm/Cycad hobbyist in Florida are a lot more ethics minded than your average TerraForums member who are more interested in ignoring the laws or looking for loopholes to get around them.

Last edited:
@Hermopolis, I would have thought that you would have enjoyed the bureaucracy, given the character in your avatar :D

Back