What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

importing...

when receiving plants from Malaysia, with all the necessary paperwork...

is there something I need to do? Do I need to get an import permit? oh my..

I live in USA and the plants are not CITES protected.

You need CITES, otherwise you shall face the consequences.

You need CITES, otherwise you shall face the consequences.

Not everything is protected under cites... If it isn't, you need a phytosanitary certificate. The seller usually has an option to provide this. if they don't, steer clear: they're trying to import illegally.

Or that yea. Dont know a lot about importing but whenever I order from wistuba there is always CITEs

@heli: only if you be purchasing nepenthes protected under CITES. heliamphora are not protected under CITES for example. only drosera i believe to be protected under CITES is D. regia.

Import permit if importing directly and not going through person with USA distributor.

You may need the permit 587 unless it is less than 13 items. Check with USDA/APHIS. You need a CITES permit for Nepenthes plants or plant parts if N. raja or N. kashiana. All Nepenthes are covered by CITES I or II. For Appendix II you do not need a CITES permit for:

http://www.cites.org/eng/app/appendices.php
a) seeds (including seedpods of Orchidaceae), spores and pollen (including pollinia). The exemption does not apply to seeds from Cactaceae spp. exported from Mexico, and to seeds from Beccariophoenix madagascariensis and Neodypsis decaryi exported from Madagascar;
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained in vitro, in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants;
d) fruits, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genus Vanilla (Orchidaceae) and of the family Cactaceae;
e) stems, flowers, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genera Opuntia subgenus Opuntia and Selenicereus (Cactaceae); and
f) finished products of Euphorbia antisyphilitica packaged and ready for retail trade.

The plants must be shipped a valid customs declaration, CITES (where applicable), copy of your 587 and phytosanitary certificates. The plants must be free of pests and disease and the roots free of any medium including Sphagnum moss or they won't pass quarantine. Again you don't need a CITES permit if the plant is Tissue Culture propagated and still in the flask.

Seeds in quantities greater than 50 per taxon also require a phytosanitary certificate.

CITES import permit is $90.

Your State may require additional permits.

Think you can get away with a misleading customs declaration? Read on.

Last edited:
Hey NaN, any idea what they define as "taxon" ie. does that mean 50 total seeds of Drosera spp. or of just one species? I'm assuming the former.

Sorry to get a bit off topic.

Hey NaN, any idea what they define as "taxon" ie. does that mean 50 total seeds of Drosera spp. or of just one species? I'm assuming the former.

Sorry to get a bit off topic.

Basically 50 seeds of one species (or whatever the weight limit is. 50 coconuts is kind of bulky and not really a small seed lot). Each species must be clearly labeled on the packets.

Guess I really didn't break the law then without a phytosanitary certificate for seeds. Good to know, it's cheaper!

NVM, need to read more.

You may need the permit 587 unless it is less than 13 items. Check with USDA/APHIS. You need a CITES permit for Nepenthes plants or plant parts if N. raja or N. kashiana. All Nepenthes are covered by CITES I or II. For Appendix II you do not need a CITES permit for:

The plants must be shipped a valid customs declaration, CITES (where applicable), copy of your 587 and phytosanitary certificates. The plants must be free of pests and disease and the roots free of any medium including Sphagnum moss or they won't pass quarantine. Again you don't need a CITES permit if the plant is Tissue Culture propagated and still in the flask.

Seeds in quantities greater than 50 per taxon also require a phytosanitary certificate.

CITES import permit is $90.

Your State may require additional permits.

Think you can get away with a misleading customs declaration? Read on.

thank you for your reply. I feel now as though I need to get the 587, and am going through some the several stages to do so
(create account, authenticate account, apply for permit, etc.)
my plant has finally shipped~

You need to have the permit lined up before they ship so the shipper can put the phyto ticket and the permit sticker the USDA sends you on the box - you send the sticker to the shipper BEFORE they ship. Good luck - there's a chance you MAY get the box anyway.

well, i got my package, minus the main plant.
destroyed because of chrysomphalus sp.

another plant had chrysomphalus aonidium and was treated with imidacloprid .03% and captam .01% dip for 5 minutes

Were the things you got labled correctly?

And did these have a phytosanitary certificate? Did you pay for one?

Doesn't a phytosanitary certificate mean its pest and disease free when shipped, so where did the chrysomphalus sp. come from? Could it have been/was it opened when it entered the US?

Last edited:
Back