What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any other UK amateurs?

Hello!

I am a London based amateur carnivorous plant owner. I have had a nepenthes Alata since last summer, which is growing leaves well, but hasn't grown any new pitchers yet (the old ones died off over winter). And I yesterday took receipt of a Venus fly trap from this website's shop. Super cool :)

I had Venus fly traps when I was younger but they always died. I used de ionised water but that didn't help. Now however my flat has a water butt with rainwater. This appears to be working on the nepenthes, although I think the lack of light and warmth until now due to the weather has resulted in the lack of traps to match. Now it's a bit warmer I'm hoping to have some luck with the nep.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi to see other uk growers to see if we can compare conditions and growth as the summer rolls on :) my mission is to make sure these survive well!

Jack

In particular, how warm should the rooms be, my house isn't particularly warm

Probably about seventy degrees Fahrenheit or about twenty degrees Celsius. A Venus flytrap can take lower temperatures like sixty degrees Fahrenheit or about sixteen degrees Celsius, but that's only for short periods of time. Don't let the temperature go above eighty to ninety degrees Fahrenheit or twenty-seven to thirty-two degrees Celsius for prolonged periods, (i.e. several days to a week) especially if you're not around to water it. If you can keep its soil moist during that time, it probably can take it, but I would NOT advise keeping it too warm. As for your Nepenthes alata, it's an intermediate-highland combo platter, so keep it no warmer than eighty degrees Fahrenheit or twenty-seven degrees Celsius. At least, that's what I've picked up from various sources, and it does make sense.

Probably about seventy degrees Fahrenheit or about twenty degrees Celsius. A Venus flytrap can take lower temperatures like sixty degrees Fahrenheit or about sixteen degrees Celsius, but that's only for short periods of time. Don't let the temperature go above eighty to ninety degrees Fahrenheit or twenty-seven to thirty-two degrees Celsius for prolonged periods, (i.e. several days to a week) especially if you're not around to water it. If you can keep its soil moist during that time, it probably can take it, but I would NOT advise keeping it too warm. As for your Nepenthes alata, it's an intermediate-highland combo platter, so keep it no warmer than eighty degrees Fahrenheit or twenty-seven degrees Celsius. At least, that's what I've picked up from various sources, and it does make sense.

Great, thank you so much :) I'll buy a thermometer today and try to get a humidity detector.

I'm wondering if I should expect to be seeing traps growing on my Nepenthes alata by now. Seeing as it's end of spring / start of summer in the UK, although it isn't particularly warm yet I have to say. The days a long now though, so it's getting a lot of light.

your flytrap should be fine either outside in full sun or on a very sunny windowsill ,you should be able to get a digital thermometer and humidity reader combined for about 15 quid no need to buy separates ,and it should be warm and sunny enough for your nep to pitcher this time of year,if not humidity is most likely the issue,you say you have a flytrap of this site but its American ?

your flytrap should be fine either outside in full sun or on a very sunny windowsill ,you should be able to get a digital thermometer and humidity reader combined for about 15 quid no need to buy separates ,and it should be warm and sunny enough for your nep to pitcher this time of year,if not humidity is most likely the issue,you say you have a flytrap of this site but its American ?

Thanks, sounds like it's definitely humidity then. I'll pick up a reader today. The other thing I was thinking was lack of light but all other plants in this spot are growing fine, and they require lots of light.

Oh, sorry, I was confused by the sites! I bought the fly trap from another provider in the UK.

Thanks for the advice, I now have my thermometer and humidity reader. It's not a particularly warm day and the temp is sitting around 20 degrees C, which sounds OK then. The humidity is around 64%. So my next guess is that the Nepenthes Alata can't be getting enough light to produce pitchers then :-/

Back