What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi s'poreans

Hi,
I was introduced to this site by neil. I'm also a S'porean. I've been growing VFT for about 2 years n hav about 6 varieties and about 30 VFT. In fact, the VFT was the only CP that really fascinated me at first. Other than VFT I keep a N.alata and N.rafflesia.

Now, I feel like moving on to explore more CPs esp the nepenthes.
Is there anyone who has lots of knowledge about these plants?
I intend to try the ventricosa and the lowii(both highland), the question here is whether is this possible?

Hi!

Welcome to the forums!

I don't have much of an advice with regards to highland Neps since I'm just starting on these myself. However, the lowii that I have has put out one new leaf in the last 2 weeks despite being left in outside. I think they do survive, but they may not flourish as they may in a highland set-up.

Anyway, you keep 6 varieties of VFTs? Great! Do u let ur VFts go dormant at the end of the year, and if so, how? And, if u have some spare red VFTs form u'd like to trade away, do let me know. I'm looking for one
smile.gif
Anyway, where did u get all the varieties from anyway?

Happy growing!

A new member! Always a welcome sight.

30 vfts is very impressive...I've never managed more than one.

All the Singapore members have knowledge of neps, since it's the most suitable CP for our climate, but for really good advice I defer to the senior members like Cindy, Jalan Kayu, Neil and guqin.

Highlanders are generally a no-go in our climate, so for long-term growing you'll have to invest in a terrararium with a cooling system. Because of that, it's hard to find highlanders sold commercially here.

That said though, you can still grow highlanders that tolerate lowland conditions such as alata and sanguinea.

ebeyond: u mean your lowii manage to survive?

what other highland neps(like ventricosa, sphatulata) u guys keep, that can somehow tolerate the S'pore's weather?
Pls let me know whether any of u guys tried the following n have succeeded in S'pore weather:
N inermis, N ventricosa, N sphatulata, N lowii, N ovata, N densiflora..
These r some of the more fanciful species, and it they r suitable, I'll confirm my order thru the net.

I got my VFT from friend in Australia, from seeds...etc. I currently have akai ryu, royal red, red piranha, all green, typical, and young dingley, shark teeth...
I grow them on my roof top, water tray method, and frankly speaking, i use tap water that has been left overnight... my plants still remain healthy. I'm currently trying out the dormancy thing with one of my bigger VFT, those smaller ones that I placed in the fridge always end up dying.

ebeyond: I'm currently a student, and I m pretty busy with my school work... I'll be more free to sort out my plants in the Dec School Hols, and I'll let you know which plants I wanna let off.

fb1c84e6.jpg
fb1c841d.jpg
fb1c83c9.jpg

Well, my lowii hasn't died in the 2 weeks outside but that's no indication that it's going to thrive and survive in the long run. I tried to bring the lowii into my aircon room at first but then I got lazy
biggrin.gif

See here in this forum.

However, I do know that the N. ventricosa, although a highland plant, adapts pretty well to the local climate. I have one and it has put out at about 2-3 weeks since I got it some 2.5 weeks ago.

Anyway, no worries about the VFT. But if u do decide to trade any of them off, do let me know
smile.gif
I'm quite worried about this dormancy thing. I was thinking of putting them into a fridge or somethg but after hearing how urs didn't survive, I might have to try somethg else.

I'm afraid you won't have much luck growing anything other than the ventricosa outdoors. Everything else is very fragile and does not take to lowland conditions well.

Hi vistary,

Welcome to PFT.
smile.gif

My advice for nep highlanders? Try not to, unless you have the set-up for them.  The climate here is ULTRA-LOWLAND, which is why Singapore is the natural home to ampullaria, gracilis, rafflesiana and their hybrids.

My most successful highlanders to date are the ventrata (ventricosa x alata) and Xemmarene. Both parents are highland but these two plants grow alongside with my lowlands.  Other highlanders are weak, they are prone to scale insects and their pitchers are small.

Recently, I discovered that my student (I'm a teacher) is growing the maxima x ventricosa I give to her very well.  I've got three of my own: in the office, on my windowsill and in my terrarium. The one in my office is growing beautiful pitchers but can't beat my student's.  I have a feeling that she leaves it out in the open to get plenty of sunlight. Highlanders love bright sunlight.  A little lesser and they won't pitcher for you.

Check with Jalan Kayu.  He has the largest nep collection as far as I know.  He should be able to comment on the species of highlanders you can try.  I agree with Colin. Ventricosa is a good bet and alata too.  All of my highlanders that are doing well have ventricosa as one of the parents.

thanks every1 for ur advices.

ebeyonder: what nepenthes species u ordered? do u hav any pix of ur lowii?
also, u can always put ur VFT in the fridge, but make sure u select a healthy and big one to gamble with, coz most of those i chose to go into the fridge r the young n fragile ones n their chances of not being able to make it out alive will defeinitely b more slim. I recently put an adult one in the fridge, I couldnt really bear to do it for fear of losing it, but reluctantly proceeded. Hope it will survive.

vistary, I've PM'ed u with regards to the Neps.

As for the VFTs, I'll have to try putting them into the fridge I guess. Without it, they'll weaken and eventually die, so not much of a choice I guess.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eBeyonder @ Sep. 13 2003,08:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">vistary, I've PM'ed u with regards to the Neps.

As for the VFTs, I'll have to try putting them into the fridge I guess. Without it, they'll weaken and eventually die, so not much of a choice I guess.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The fridge is not really a muz.... you might end up killing the plant... esp. when u put an unhealthy one into the fridge, it'll not make it out alive.

Hi Vistary,
Welcome to the forum.
Hi all,
I don't think I am an expert on Nep.
The two highlanders in my collections are
alata (Banaue, highland) growing and pitcher very well
khasiana, slow but pitchering
and may be Gentle which just growing without pitcher

I would avoid most highlander and all ultra-highlanders, they like bright light, high humidity but cool temperature (<25*C day time with a drop in night temperature to <16*C) that can only achieve by a terrarium set up with bright lighting and special cooling. May be a Peltier cell “Thermalelectric” air to air cooler would do the job, see  Here
happy growing

vistary, where do u get live sphagnum from?

hello and welcome vistary nice collection, i just have 1 vft i bought it from malaysia,

anyone know where to buy N.rafflesia besides woon leng?i really want 1

Cindy: where do you teach?
thx

ebeyonder: live sphagnum can be cultivated from the dried ones, kept under high humidty, u can get it fr Jimei at Thomson.

wexz: u can get N. Rafflesia from goodwood at Thomson at $15 a pot

Don't be so modest, Jalan Kayu
smile.gif
In any case, experience is always worthwhile.

Goodwood? I don't recall a nursery by that name...where is it, exactly?

wezx, you can also get raffs at Redhill. Fairly typical, I doubt you can find the Giant form in Singapore.

k thx colin how much are they usually? i bought nep alatas for 3.50 there before.(i bargained alot)
also how do i tell him to bring nep raffs?he usually bringsnep alatas right?and i dont think he knows the names of the neps

You'll have to check with Cindy.

I'm afraid my bargaining skills aren't quite as good as yours, I paid $8.

the neps i bought from red hill were quite small, single shoot, about 10 leaves only, maybe thats y its so cheap

Back