What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S

Seven of Thorns

Hey all,

I'm a COMPLETLE newbie to CP's. I have been raising salamanders and newts for a year now (not including the pair I had when I was young for 5 years) and have been feeding them live foods such as crickets and fruit flies. Sometimes the insects escape. I got to thinking maybe a good way to prevent having tons of bugs running all around my room would be to plant CP's in the tanks (or in the case of my aquatic setups setting them on top).

What does everyone think of this? Any recommendations on which kind(s) of plants I should look for (keeping in mind I'm a newbie as well as what I'm using them for)? Any places that people know of that I can purchase from?

I live in Windsor Ontario Canada and was thinking of checking out Colasanti's (last time I was there they had a VFT and one of those dew leafed ones, but that was years ago).

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Some sundews or butterworts might put a dent in the fruit fly population, I don't think that anything would be very effective against the crickets. I think that there have been a few threads around here about herps and CPs. You should have a look around.

Try http://www.drosera.cjb.net/

It's located in Canada, and had a pretty good selection and good prices.

Hey.
I'm sorry. I"m not a geography person... Are you close to St. Catherines? Theres a really big place you can buy sarracenia (pitcher plants), there...

Windsor is four hours away from TO, right near Detroit, Michigan, USA.

I think St. Cat's is about 5-6 hours away.

I think I found the site for the person with the pitchers, but I don't think they'll go well with my guys.

Hmm... Ok, sorry...
sad.gif

I would just look at all the Canadian CP resources on this forum...

Hi S.o.T,

I keep newts too!
smile.gif
Fire-bellies. 2 of them now and I can't tell if they're both males or females. The largest of them died a couple of months back. I have them for 2 yrs now.

Welcome to PFT.

Nepenthes are good for that loose cricket and sundews are better for the mini fruit flies. Keeping them together in an aquatic set-up can be tricky. I can't help very much so just my 2cts worth.
wink.gif

Back