What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Artificial light for cps

hey Singaporeans!
i just bought a mini greenhouse from ikea ...the lenght is 50cm and the height is 25cm,what light and how many lights should i use,anyone know where to buy them?thx!

I use three 2-foot florescent lights for my terrarium (fish tank on its side).

1 aquarium light (pink colour light)
1 aquarium light (white colour)
1 ordinary light (daylight) - this is the best, plants directly under it grow better

I have the other ikea terrarium and used to place lights standing vertical at the back.
smile.gif

thanks for the information,
why cant it be just daylight florescent lights?also what do you suggest for the ikea greenhouse thing,how many lights?

is one florescent light(daylight) enough for the ikea one?which brand should i get?

Actually, "daylight" is fine.  I was just trying the different lights out.  You may want to consider at least 2 lights.  Remember that it's difficult to replicate the sun's effect on the plants...

No brand in particular but I'm using Phillips.

ok thx alot, where did you buy those 2 foot lights?

Perhaps you could consider buying light tubes that are balanced to enhance plant growth in the aquarium. There is a good aquarium shop opposite the Thomson Medical Centre that deals mainly with aquatic plants. They have very good and powerful light units there. I think the shop is called 'Nature Aquarium'. Most of their fish tanks on display can be more accurately be called aquascapes, because it is the aqautic plants that take centre-stage in the tanks, similar to the Amano tank aquascaping concept. Amano san is a professional photographer and a pioneer in aquascaping.

thx,right now i have those double tube florescent lights("daylight")....they are 565 lumens and 60 watts,, the bulbs are about 4 inches long(not inculding the base)are those ok?i have two of those right now, is that enough for a 50x20x24cm greenhouse?thx

Hi wezx,

Light intensity requirements for CPs are dependent on the type of CP you are growing, but 2 x 565 lumens, it unlikely sufficient. Some Cpers use compact FL lamps (IKEA sell 20w compact FL @ 1200 lm) try using 2 to 4 units.

Note: You can also make one end of your terrarium brighter the other end, and plant different CPs which require different light intensity in the same terrarium, but care must be taken to cater for the different soil moisture requirement for different CPs by having sloping soil level.

Go to this thread
here

There are many good reading on this topic on PFTF under Greenhouses, Terrariums and Bog Gardens

Hope I did not cause you more confusion.

k thx ill go to ikea cuz its near my house...what brand is it?how much is the base for that?
thx

Back