What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cindy

Staff member
expand our collections! Otherwise, at least we know who to ask about what.
smile.gif

My CP list:
Nepenthes
ampullaria spotted
alata (2 lowlands, 1 highland - just took 2 cuttings)
gracilis (2 types - one grows like weed but pitchers are small, good for newbies, another deep maroon type on the way)
rafflesiana (baby)
reinwardtiana (new)
albomarginata (new)
bicalcurata (new)
mirabilis (2 types)
emmerene
ventrata (just took 2 cuttings)
ventricosaXmaxima
tobaicaXthorelli

Ping
sethos

Drosera
intermedia or spatulata (dunno which)
capensis

As you can see, I don't that many (as shown in my website). I miss my sarras and ceph and VFTs...
sad.gif

Two unknown Neps, I shall attempt to post their pictures for identification. I really need to get myself a digital camera.

Photos of my Nepenthes
Pictures 2 and 3 are of the same Nepenthes, possibly Rafflesiana, Picture 5 is of my other Nepenthes, possibly Alata.

Oh, and one Drosera Capensis Alba..

Hi Colin,

Pictures 2 and 3 are Rafflesiana, Picture 5 is usually labeled as Alata, but could be a Ventrata (Nepenthes x ventricosa*alata)

My list will be ready soon

Oh, great...thanks so much for your help, jalan kayu.

By the way, what do you look out for when identifying neps?

Colin, I have doubts that your Neps are rafflesiana. It could either be Nep. x hookerana or a Nep. gracilis x Nep. rafflesiana hybrid. I am looking up the BP guide book on carnivorous plants of Singapore, and there are a series of good photos that show and compares the various species and hybrids. For starters, the rafflesiana photos in the book (pg. 86, 88 & 89) shows the lower, intermediate and upper pitchers. All do not have the 'hip' or the slighly narrow waist at the middle of the pitchers. I think we wil have to look closely at the flare of the peristome and also the position of the spur to determine the true identity. Any Nep experts out there?

My small grow list:

Drosera
capensis (typical)
capensis (red)
filiformis
intermedia

Dionaea
muscipula (normal)
muscipula (Red Dragon)

Sarracenia
purpurea x 2
'Stevensii'

Pinguicula
'Sethos'

Nepenthes
gracilis
albomarginata

Ah...thanks for the information, guqin.
This adds to my confusion, but I'm always open to learnign more about CPs
smile.gif

My even shorter growlist
smile.gif

Drosera
Filiformis
Intermedia

Dionaea Muscipula
Typical

Nepenthes
Gracilis
Rafflesiana

This is my second edit of this post. The more photos I look at, the more I am unsure whether my nep is a rafflesiana or a hookeriana. On the one hand, rafflesianas seem to have L-shaped peristomes, which my pitcher appears to have, or it could just be a rounded peristome at a steep incline. On the other, rafflesianas don't have the "hip" that my pitcher seems to display.

My other nep, though, is still unidentified; either alata or ventrata.

Colin, I think ebeyonder's Nep is a true rafflesiana. You rightly observed that rafflesiana does not have a 'hip'. As is clearly seen in ebeyonder's photos, the pitchers all do not have a 'hip'. You might want to send another closeup of one of your pitchers to this forum to verify its status. Try to get a photo of the spur behind the lid. I think that character might be important.

Hybrids can be a bit tricky to identify because they have characters that are usually intermediate between the parents.

Try to get the BP guide book on Carnivorous Plants of Singapore (about $5.00). There are enough photographic comparisons that should allow you to make a decision.

Nice avatar, Jalan Kayu.

What happened to the CP lists?

My complete list,

I have posted the Neps previously

Nepenthes:
alata (Banaue, highland)(M)
albomarginata (Penang, red) very slow growing
albomarginata(Kuching,spotted)
ampullaria spotted (L)
bellii (sick)
bicalcarata (Marudi) (sick)
bicalcarata (Sri Aman)
eustachya
gracilis (singapore)
longifolia
hirsuta (Kuching, green)
hirsuta (Kuching, spotted)
khasiana
macrovulgaris
merrilliana
mindanaoensis
mirabilis (L)
northiana
maxima (Borone, lowland)
reinwardtiana (Bau, lowland)
rafflesiana (L)
truncata (red)
veitchii (Bau, lowland)
ventricosa (black peristome) (M)

hybrid

albomarginata x veitchii
clipeata x rafflesiana
coccinea (L)
gentle (L)
ventrata (4 forms)(L)

(L/M)=sizes S for those unmarked
The Neps came from different sources, some are found in Singapore nurseries, but mostly ordered from
malesiana.tropicals

Cephalotus follicularis
Typical
German Giant

Drosera
capensis (typical)
capillaris
intermedia

Dionaea muscipula
normal
Red Dragon
Mix of Giant Clones

Pinguicula
Caerulea
Cyclosecta
laueana
Emarginata * Cyclosecta
'Weser' moranensis*ehlersiae

Sarracenia
purpurea hybrid
'Stevensii'

Jalan Kayu - a very impressive collection indeed!
me? - A variety of plants but mostly only nepenthes in the 'carnivorous' category.
I personally grow them to enjoy watching/looking at them in a natural setting if possible. I'm not so interested in knowing whether it is a true N. rafflesiana or a hybrid etc. , so long as it grows well and looks good :- my own view only.
I used an old fibre-glass waterfall to create a staggered 'cascading greenery'. Still only a few months old yet, it has around 5 different types of nepenthes with ferns and bromeliads etc. It is fascinating to peer between the ferns to discover new pitchers that weren't there the previous week.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/72805575/73083108EmIzPE  and for a close-up (see tiny pitchers on top of structure), http://community.webshots.com/photo/72805575/75324808tuMYPZ

Back