What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redhill neps available (singaporeans)

Cindy

Staff member
Uncle at the corner stall in Redhill Market (the only uncle selling plants facing the carpark) has is keeping 2 rafflesiana and 1 ventrata for you guys until tomorrow.  He has another 3 ventratas which he will be selling today.

Aunty near the POSB teller (wears this hat with huge brim) will bring in different neps for me to look at next week. She can't be sure what she can get  but I trust her as I've bought mirabilis and coccinea from her before.

*vistary - sorry but no ampullaria yet

And please go and buy and convince him to bring in more...otherwise he won't source for us anymore!

Btw, from what I heard, the more unusual neps are from Holland and they cost about $10-$40.

hey plz plz help me reserve 1 raffesilian i really want 1...what time does the uncle close?

do they open on sundays? until what time?

how big is the raff and how much?

For those of you intending to go to the Orchid Show, there's a stall that sells neps. Hua Hng...it's next to Woon Leng's stall. I bought an unidentified nep from them for $12.50.

Actually, now that I've looked at some pictures, it may be a spotted alata. Drat, are they highland? And if they are, can they adapt?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"a spotted alata. Drat, are they highland? And if they are, can they adapt?" [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, highland alata grow well in our climate.

I bought a smaller pot of the same thing that wezx from the the same store. The small pot cost S$6. I actually bought the plant not for the pitcher but for the liverwort growing in the pot! Anyway, there is any store selling TC Nep. rafflesiana. Buy one get one free for S$12!

Did anyone buy?
smile.gif

today i went to the orchid fest and bought a N marinda(i think) for 12.50 and a small N raff with 2 shoots for $3.Theres also a smaller nep for $6 at hua hng...ithe pitchers are small and blackish .

hey gugin whats a liverwort?

Liverworts are small green nonvascular plants of the class Hepaticopsida growing in wet places and resembling green seaweeds or leafy mosses.

Sorry for the poor English... Still asleep...

oh those things... what are they for?

Sigh...uncle will spank me...none of you went to buy his neps, right?

The two pots of raffs (10cm pitchers) were still hanging there today...and two ventratas...
confused.gif

Sorry Cindy, I've already bought rafflesianas and ventratas from him. Also, I'm kind of in the middle of exams, so no buying for at least a week.

sorry cindy, I already hav those 2 sp.
I m actually lookin for N amp.

Sorry as well, I already have those 2 sp, was looking for an ampullaria. Got a ventrata from uncle last time.

Opps. Sorry. Has been awfully busy last and this week. Cindy, what time does the Uncle open until? I can try to seek out of campus but if my supervisor finds out, I will become food for the pitchers. I can take both N. raff if no body else wants them.

BTW, anyone knows what bus to take from NUS to the market?

First, I would like to apologize to Cindy for asking the uncle to bring in the plants and than finding out that I am too busy to go last Sunday. Cindy, please inform us if you spot any nice plants. I really appreciate your effort and am sorry to let you down.

So, I rushed down today to get the plants before uncle stops bringing in the Neps for us. I reached Redhill market at about 1 pm and thankfully, the uncle has not left yet, but the Nep was already in his van. He has only one Nep. rafflesiana left. He chided me for taking so long to appear and said that he could not keep it for so long as the plants would die. Anyway, the good news is that if the other plants were already sold, it would appear that there are people who are interested in these plants!
biggrin.gif

I bought the remaining Nep. rafflesiana for 8 dollars and ask him to remove the pot and soil. This was a good thing. When I reach back, I washed away the remaining soil on the root stock of the plants and was surprised that the plant could survive on such a rich loamy substrate. I was than horrified that there were manure wrapped around the rootstock! I quickly washed the entire plant in water. That was a mistake. Both my hands now smell of manure. Apparently, when the person who was potting up the plant had smeared the whole plant with bits of manure!

I cannot vouch for the rest of the plants that the rest of you bought from uncle. However, I would strongly suggest that if you have bought your plants from uncle, remove the plant from the soil ASAP and check the rootstock. If your plants are dying, the manure could be the reason.

I suggest lining the base of your pot with styrofoam chips (those that you use for packing stuff to send via post) or charcoal bits, and use LFS for the rest of the pot. Meanwhile, my keyboard now smells of manure!
sad.gif

Well, things we do for our plants...

some books mentioned adding inorganic material like vermiculite, perlite, pumice, sand, and granite chips.
does anyone know where to get granite chips?
(i realise that thomson nurseries dont have it, but NUS has quite alot in its workshop, but i dun feel like asking them)

Back