What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good News For Canadians?

I found some carniverous plant suppliers that ship internationally. I have not checked into them yet, I just found them through this link:
http://www.ii-okinawa.ne.jp/people....m#Enass

Which was provided for me by the Canadian Carniverous Plant Society: (http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/jardin/en/propos/scapi.htm)

So anyone who needs this info., do what you can with it and check into these people if you're interested in buying. I will personally continuing to find more people in Canada who sell
Venus Flytraps because I don't want to pay a wealth of fees to get permits and what-not!

www.cascadecarniverousplants.org (andrew & cindy marshal)

www.bestcarniverousplants.com

http://www.intaac.com.au/exoticaplants/

http://www.peterpauls.com/ (but it appears they require a minimum for international orders)

I would say the issue is not who ships internationally as there are many companies do. But as you mention.. the effort and time to get the proper import permit for your home country and then the expense of international shipping and document cost from the shipper.

Canada does require the importer have an import permit. I believe it is available from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. No clue if there are any fees involved.
Tony

Oh OUCH! Thanks for the heads-up pyro. That must've been one site of Barry's pages I actually didn't read! See..this is why I said I haven't looked into them yet. Never take someone's word without research. Always research these things for yourself before moving on with it! :)

Disclaimer: I did not say Peter Paul's would be a good place to order from. Therefore I am not responsible for my careless post! LOL LOL  
tounge.gif

Thanks for the tip Tony, I'll check into that.  
smile.gif

Newbie,

We like to look out for each other here so I posted that as a courtesy to all. I was not trying to direct it at you specifically.

smile.gif
smile.gif

I have looked into the Canadian plant import regulations, and they would be almost impossible for the casual collector to comply with.

On the other hand, I have had plant shipments that were opened at the border that were resealed and sent on their way.

Back to the first hand, I have had one plant that was sent from the UK that was intercepted and incinerated.

Of course that was only one out of dozens of packages I have sent and received.

I have ordered plants from bestcarnivorousplants, cooks and lee's botanical garden without any problems.

Southern Carnivores is a good site...

The exchange rate is in the favor of Americans, and even for Canadians... Its really cheap with the exchange rate!

I still haven't checked into what I would need to do or what permits I would need to get to import a VFT from the states. Sad thing is, whatever it is, it's probably the same rules that a business will have to follow if they import a large number on a frequent basis! But, I guess I'd better check that out before I actually place any orders outside of Canada.
I am dealing with Chris right now, ordering a couple drosera from her. She does seem nice, and she's been quite helpful. I also approve of her garuntee that all plants will arrive alive! She did have some VFT's, but she lost them all about a month ago.  
sad.gif

O dear god no! Peterpauls ABUSES there plants and does illegul field collection.

I thought I would tell you about my Peter Paul's experience 7-8 years ago.

I purchased one of the plant kits, minus the plastic terrarium. The kit included a common VFT, Purple Pitcher Plant, White Trumpet, Yellow Trumpet, and 2 Butterworts. I also purchased a Darlingtonia and a Cephalotus. All arrived within 2 weeks. These plants were in good condition, and grew wonderfully. The Darlingtonia died as I couldn't keep it cool enough, the Cephalotus lived through my first year at college and was the talk of the greenhouse for several weeks. It was the best one they had seen growing in a terrarium. Overall, I was very happy with the company.

I have not ordered anything from them since. Most of my current plants came from Lowes and my Green Dragons from petflytrap.com. Why didn't I order from Peter Paul's? They are much more expensive compared to other nurseries found on the web today.

I do not know if they field collected my plants. They came in such a timely manner that I doubt this. All my plants were labeled correctly, and my order was enthusiastically received.

Once again, I do not know if they field collect. The posts that said he offered them money for plants seem to be made up in my opinion. They seem to be people who did not have a good experience and then added the: "Oh, and by the way...".

When I was a student at Ohio State University ATI, greenhouses we visited had to have insurance to let us come through to see the growing ranges. If they did not, we had to sign a waiver stating that if we were hurt, the greenhouse was not responsible. So, if he didn't want to pay for extra insurance to let people into the nursery, he had all the right to do so.

Just another side to the story.

Nick

Nick, I admire your reluctance to jump on the the anti-Peter Paul's bandwagon.

I went and looked up some of the original postings from the CP mailing list, and there are really too many negative comments from too many different sources to ignore. There was also a definite lack of pro-Peter Paul's sentiment in the CP mailing list archives.

While your positive experience is encouraging, your experience should be the *minimum* level of service expected from a CP nursery, not a extraordinary example of good service that could be used to counter others' negative comments.

Finally, there is the open endorsement of field collecting given in the text of his book, along with some rather spurious reasoning.

I find this evidence sufficient to justify cautioning others against buying plants from his nursery.

Wow, I'm glad I'm in this forum. If I weren't, I wouldn't have known this, and desperate to order plants may have ordered from them! It's really quite helpful to have such a wide variety of viewpoints to help you with your decision-making!

I only ordered from PeterPauls once..
The plants arrived in poor shape and most didn't make it a week. They were also covered in weeds wich quickly took over and strangled out any survivors. I didn't have them long enough to determine if they were correctly identified or not. I wasn't entirely pleased with their customer service either.
I agree that there are simply too many negative comments to ignore. I'm glad that a few people have had good experiences, but if there's even a chance they field collect, that's more than enough reason for me to steer clear.
Just my 2cents
smile.gif

I'll be a proud new Momma soon! Just got a puppy, so I'm already a proud Momma there, but as a lot of you know I have ordered 2 sundews from Chris, and just today I ordered a blood red VFT from Cook's, and I entered for the giveaway. So I'll be getting a typical VFT as well. Pretty excited!
biggrin.gif

Back