What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi cper from singapore

• Thread starter jalan kayu
  • Start date
Welcome, Jalan Kayu!
biggrin.gif

Sad to let you know that there's only another Singaporean registered here...me...provided that other Singaporeans do come in but haven't been posting for the past year and a half...

But the rest of the guys/gals here are simply wonderful...

So what CPs do you grow?

Hi Cindy,
I did noticed your name on the this forum, but was interested to find out if more
I started cp growing with a VFT at Sep 02.

My current CP grow list;
4 type VFT
5 type Ping
2 type Sarr
4 type drosera
2 Ceph
20 Nep
Grow them all on a east facing 21st floor balcony.

I started to join/ vist CP forums since few days ago, and have contacted 2 other Singapore CPers, Jonathan Poh and Neil_Wilkinson, they are not in the same CP forum.

jalan kayu is my nick name

biggrin.gif
cheers

Hi Cindy,

Neil_Wilkinson is at gardenweb http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/carnivor/
Attached is an extract of his e-mail to me.

"I used to know some-one called cindy. Also from Singapore who was interested in
cp's. Also had an impressive web-site but her e-mai laddress is no longer valid.
Great to hear from you. Keep in touch.
Best wishes, Neil."

biggrin.gif
jalan kayu

Hi, Jalan Kayu. Hi Cindy.
Thanks to Jalan Kayu I've found a new forum page. As Jalan Kayu says I was at the Garden web forum page. So I guess I'm the 3rd person from Singapore to join you all. Although I'm not a Singaporean, I'm a Singapore PR, hope that counts!
Hello to everyone. Neil.

I use to live in Singapore before, when I was in my mother tummy
tounge.gif

Bjorn Norman, Did you ever live here as a child? Any memories or recollections of Singapore? Just was wondering which country is better for growing carnivorous plants. I guess it also depends which ones,........ What is the weather like in Norway? I always imagine bright skies but a cold wind in the air. I guess you grow most of your plants indoors eh?

My oh my...it's getting exciting...now we have 3 registered Singaporeans (Yes Neil, you ARE included) on the PFT forum.

Whee!!!  
rolleyes.gif
 Others may wonder at my delight but considering that Singapore is SO small, 3 is a good number.

Bjorn Norman:
You mean your mum lived in Singapore? N you are norwegian?  Coincidently, I attended a lesson on astronomy today, by a norwegian associate professor...
wink.gif

Jalan Kayu:
I only have nepenthes with me except for p.Sethos and d.intermedia...the rest of my temperate CP all died because of a bad bout of root rot or root mealies.

The plants are all facing east too, on the 14th level.  Which neps do you have?

You may want to take a look at my web site...nothing great...I've got much lesser plants now.  
confused.gif

My Webpage

Cindy, well, my father is Malaysian and his job send him to Singapore to do someting there, my mom is Norwegian and she follow dad to Singapore when he got some jobs there, so I'm a mix between Malaysian and Norwegian, they moved to Kuala Lumpur where I was born...

Neil, the weather here is strange, cold, warm, snow, sunny, hail and rain, that's a typical weather in May for North to South, LOL
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
I like cold weather better than warm.

I grow all my CP inside, but i can put my temperet species like Pinguicula grandiflora and P. vulgaris outside if I want. I have a little trouble growing Nepenthes and winter growing species here because of the space and light (I don't get sunlight for 2 mounhts because the mountain beside me).

Bjørn, the Malaysian in Noway

Hi Cindy & Sing CPers

The Neps that I grow? I was not too accurate when I last said 20, made a list when your question came up, to be exact, 29 types:

N. alata (Banaue, highland)(M)
N. albomarginata (Penang, red) very slow growing
N. albomarginata(Kuching,spotted)
N. ampullaria (Bau, spotted)
N. bellii
N. bicalcarata (Marudi) slow
N. bicalcarata (Sri Aman)
N. eustachya
N. gracilis (singapore)
N. longifolia
N. hirsuta (Kuching, green)
N. hirsuta (Kuching, spotted)
N. Khasiana
N. macrovulgaris
N. merrilliana
N. mindanaoensis
N. mirabilis (L)
N. northiana
N. maxima (Borone, lowland)
N. reinwardtiana (Bau, lowland)
N. rafflesiana (L)
N. truncata (red)
N. veitchii (Bau, lowland)
N. ventricosa (black peristome) (M)

N. albomarginata x veitchii
N. clipeata x rafflesiana
N. coccinea (L)
N. gentle (L)
N. ventrata (3 forms)(L)

(L/M)=sizes S for those unmarked
The Neps came from different sources, some are found in Singapore nurseries, but mostly ordered from
malesiana.tropicals

I have recently trimmed the larger plants, took some cuttings, not rooted yet.

jalan kayu

tounge.gif

Hi all,

I'm from Singapore too but I'm new to CPs... got them from a local grower who was featured in one of the local papers a few weeks ago.... are any of you him by the way?
smile.gif

Anyway, where do you all get your CPs from? Just out of interest...

My pics of my CPs (only 3... heh) are here: http://www.pbase.com/ebeyonder

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (eBeyonder @ June 04 2003,6:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm from Singapore too but I'm new to CPs... got them from a local grower who was featured in one of the local papers a few weeks ago.... are any of you him by the way?
smile.gif

Anyway, where do you all get your CPs from? Just out of interest...

My pics of my CPs (only 3... heh) are here: http://www.pbase.com/ebeyonder[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Welcome eBeyonder,

New CPer? That make 2 of us, I started growing CPs about 9 months ago.

Local grower? THY? I guess he is here in the forum, but has not join this topic.

There are many CP sources, send me an e-mail.

Cindy & Neil,

Singapore CPer in the forum counting up to ..... 5

I started growing only a few weeks ago and currently have 3 species. I've regrouped my pics: http://www.geocities.com/ebeyonder/ Do check them out if u wish!
smile.gif

Anyway, I've sent you an email regarding the sources of CPs in Singapore. Looking forward to ur reply, thanks.

Nice pics ebeyonder, especially liked the picture of the poor ant on the N. gracilis rim.
Just to let everyone know, I've now rearranged all my photos into 2 albums. I've also added 4 new species (gracilis, hirsuta, albomarginata and truncata) and a few hybrids/unknown.
You can see a few shots of my balcony and a few nepenthes plants at :    http://community.webshots.com/user/neilsingapore

Jalan Kayu - wow, you have so many nepenthes. Any chance of any photos?
Also, how do you create a 'signature'? The words in blue at the bottom?

Hello all,

Does anyone have any spare butterworts he/she wld like to sell?

eBeyonder:
Welcome to PFT! I 'm the Cindy jalan kaya mentioned. Was the only regular Singaporean here until the rest joined recently.

Well, we all start small...in fact, I started with only one VFT.
tounge.gif

jalan kayu: You've only started 9 months ago and you've got so many plants...how do you cope? I have only one side of the window in a regular HDB room to keep my CPs.

Cindy: I took over the 5-room point balcony almost completely for CPs, even though I own the HDB apartment, still need permission from my wife and may be my children….he is mad and growing CPs is the cause as well as the cure… but at least he will be at home and not at some grass cutting ball hitting places… ha ha ha.

The trick is to use the vertical space. Mounted 4 stainless chains a cross the length of the balcony at about 2.2 meters (h), the larger Neps are hang from the chain at different height (using hocks of different length), The smaller plants are place on modified plastic kitchen shelves of 5 layers…. I am sort of DIY guy. 2 of the chain is reserved for laundry drying.

Neil: photo? Too lazy to set up a gallery website… will come to that soon. Ha, You already found the solution to your question.

EBeyonder: right now my Pings are few and small, will let U know when I have extra

Hi all Singapore,

Neil has asked for it, so I have no choice but obliged. I have joined the webshot, 6 pictures for now... more to come.

Nice pics jalan kayu
smile.gif

I know u told me u got some the plants from local nuseries.. but do u mind saying exactly which ones? I might just pop by to have a look...

Cindy.. just visited ur website... nice pics as well
smile.gif
You mentioned ur N.Rafflesia cost u only 4 dollars? Wow... from where did u get that?

All right then, happy growing!
biggrin.gif

Hi all,

Great to find that there are more people growing CPs in Singapore! Hope to share information with all.

I have just started keeping some specimens and hope that they will survive. I live on the ninth floor and it is pretty windy and dry up here. Trying to get hold of some Australian Drosera if I could in the future.

Cheers

guqin

Back