What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S'pore help!

hey everyone,i live in the condo and i grow my plants outdoors....Now they arent doing so well(my neps and VFT...are your plants doing ok?it might be because of the cloudy weathers ...i might be wrong, thats why im checking with you guys,maybe my setup is wrong because i moved/hung my neps to a more shady place(lack of space)but it can get direct sunlight in the afternoon.

How not doing well are they not doing well?

wezx,

Morning sun or all day indirect sunlight beats afternoon direct sun. Besides, not much sun in the afternoon lately.
confused.gif

And neps are sensitive to where you move them to almost immediately. The difference is the next pitcher formed or not formed.

the pitchers dry up before they are developed, i dont know why but now its getting a new pitcher i think(maybe its adapting)...should i move them to windowsills facing east/northeast(im not sure)?will it be better?i cant move it to its original position(lack of space)

ill try to get a pic soon

Try not to move your neps around too much.

Hasn't there been sun? For the past week it's been scorching! My sphagnum moss dries up in a day, that's how hot it is over here. A bit worried about my leaves getting burned, in fact.

at my place there have been rain on and off...and i had to move my neps because of space

Hmm...I'll have to contradict colin. The times when I moved neps, they only did better.

East, north/east is great. I suppose if your plant is unhappy, it'll stay the same. But if you got the place right, it'll perk up in a week!
smile.gif

One dramatic change was a gracilis that didn't pitcher for a year, the minute I moved it just a foot lower to get more filtered sunlight (only about 30 minutes more), it pitchered like crazy! The other was 3 pots of maximaXventricosa that were growing thin green juvenile pitchers. When I lugged them to school and plonked them on the bright windowsill in a air-con room, the next pitcher they all had was deep maroon and more tubby.
rolleyes.gif

Cindy, the operative word being "too much"
smile.gif
But I agree, if you are pretty sure you're moving them to a better spot, then by all means. But don't move them for the sake of moving them.

I moved a ventrata I bought from Redhill with very noticeable results (pitchers vs. no pitchers). I'm not actually sure what difference I created, either humidity/light increase or both.

hey im trying to find out where in my apartment is good for neps...i got a compass and the only direction my windowsills face is north and south
sad.gif
, not much use...and most of the the eastern / morning sun is blocked by some buildings, i guess now my cps will only get afternoon...also i found out the problem of my neps slow growing,it is hanging on some bars which faces west and easten side is blocked,most of the westen side(where it is facing) is also blocked {the top part!}so it only gets 3-4 pm sun...
so now:
1)i would have to move my neps somewhere and i cant move it to the original position( no space)
2)my other cps did not get any direct sunlight and there is very little light where my plants are(i dont know why, a while ago there was direct sunlight at 10am-3/4pm on the area i grow my other cps)maybe the sun "shifted" in the sky
3)i would have to move ,my cps in the house but theres not much space, also the plants are blocking the way of people and when the cleaner come and wash the floor my trays which the cps are standing on gets filled up with soapy water+ tap water

i might move some of my more "important" cps in the house in a small greenhouse (50cm lenghth),and put 2000lumes over it

any suggestions? i need to store my cps in a small area with good conditions

thx and sorry about writing so much

any suggestions?

You need to be patient when moving Nepenthes around since they seem to take at least a month or more before they will start responding to the new conditions. My N. rafflesiana (or hybrid?) wasn't doing very well until I moved it. It produced 2 beautiful pitchers about 2 months later and now it has a 3rd! Below is the link to the 2 pitchers together.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/91585468/94151236DEjCdv
I haven't taken the 3 pitchers together yet.
If you move the plant every week or 2 it will be very difficult to know which is the best position for it.
Happy growing, or in the case of my plants, happy swimming! - We've had soooooo much rain recently!
Neil.

Neil,
Is your N. rafflesiana in shade or in sunlight for most of the day?

Back