What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone has P x sethos, weser?

HI Singaporeans,

Does anyone has a spare P x weser/sethos (the one from FEF) and wants to exchange it for a d.intermedia or d.filiformis?

Or does FEF carry any of them?

i got mine from FEF ridout park 2 mths ago; I bot 2 P Wesers n 2 VFT, but in the end only the VFT are still alive whereas the Wesers are dead, I think they need cooler conditions.
Anyway, u can try FEF Ridout Park.

Vistary, p.sethos does very well here. What happened to yours?

Mine:
sethos_four_plants_rs.jpg

It can take lower humidity than we think.

That's one healthy butterwort, Cindy!

Shessh, I don't have much luck with this species. I lost 2 of the ones I got from FEF. One yielded 4 new ones thru division. Lost them all as well. Then the leaf cuttings gave me like 8 more. Now 4 are black. 4 look like they're dying. I lost 14!

So if I ever get a new P x sethos, I'm going to put it in an inorganic substrate and see how it goes.

Hey Cindy,
Your Ping looks great!!
I really dont have muc luck with them, I bot a total of 4 over 1.5 yrs, from FEF, but lost all of them, they turned black and rotted away.
Were yours from FEF?
What substrate u use, is that perlite?
Where u place the ping?

As some of you might know, I am trying out a relatively new substrate for Pings as a subsitute for sand of a suitable grain size (circa 0.5 - 1 mm in diameter). I am now using diatomite which is made up of fossilized diatoms (a kind of microscopic unicellular algae with silica cell walls). They retain water for a while but will dry out in a couple of days or so, depending on environmental conditions. This will ensure that the plant's roots do not dry out and also provide adequate aeration to the roots. In some pots, especially those outside the house, I add a pinch of peat to help retain water in case I forget to water the plants for one day.

eBeyonder, your pings that are with me are in diatomite and so far they look alright. Maybe your growing conditions need to be looked into. Too much water perhaps? I keep my Pings slightly on the dry side. I usually do not put them on a water tray, but this also means that you have to be very careful not to let the substrate dry out totally. With diatomite and some peat, I have at least one day's grace before the plant totally dries out and die.

gugin,
You may find that you get a few extra benefits using Diatomaceous Earth (Diatomite).  It is used for a natural pesticide so you may notice an abscence of insects, particularly those that have a lot of exposed soft tissues, such as fungus gnat larva and it has trace amounts of minerals in it (unless it's the kind used for swimming pool filters).  Much like crushed sea shells that some people have had luck using as a medium for their pings.

It will be interesting to see how your ping does in this medium.

smile.gif

BCK

Ah ha! Finally someone who is also using diatomite. Lets see how this substratum works for Pings. I have tried it (pure without any other additives) on a Nep. rafflesiana fresh out of TC. So far, it is looking pretty good. Pitchers form consistantly even though it is out of TC for only one month.

That's perlite. Fill a plastic container with an inch of perlite, wrap some live sphagnum (GENTLY) around the roots of the ping and place the plant on the perlite.

Keep water up to perlite layer, not more. There's no need to keep the perlite flooded 'cos as long as it is wet, the sphagnum will absorb water from it.

Hehe. I've lost enough pings to DECLARE THIS the BEST cultivation method for Singapore.
cool.gif

guqin's right...keep them drier and you'll be surprised they'll do perfect.

Cindy: do you grow that ping in a terrarium under lights?

Used to but it was weak. Then I put it at my windowsill facing east to get the morning sun from 7-10am. It flowered then split up into four!
smile.gif

It get pinkish during the brighter months. Now it's back to the usual green.

thx,
is one inch of perlite too little? or do pings have short roots.

They have very short roots compared to the other CPs. The inch of perlite is just to keep a certain level of water available for the plant.

Good thing about perlite is that there's plenty of air spaces inbetween.

Back