What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Update

My exams are finally OVER! Haha, I can go on a nep-buying spree now...at least until I enter NS next year.

I dropped by all the Thompson nurseries, and also FEF at Rideout Park. Really not much to see...

Island still has many enormous ventratas (mislabelled alatas) at $38, which is the best price you'll find. FEF Thompson has them for $75, and FEF Rideout has them for $68. Bizarre, if you ask me.

FEF Thompson has some scraggly-looking neps at $22. I don't know what they are exactly, I do know that I have it already. It looks somewhat like a highland alata striped. At $22 they're overpriced, as is the habit of FEF, but you may not be able to find them elsewhere. Not really spectacular, needs lots of care to make healthy pitchers.

Hawaii Landscape has some ventricosas at $20. Again, not in very good condition (I doubt there's a single nursery in Singapore that knows how to grow neps), will need lots of care.

SPA has two unidentified neps (same species, as far as I could tell) going for $80. Had no idea what they were, but I don't think they should be bought by any serious nepenthaholic, as they were labelled 'Monkey Cup (Wild)', which I presume means they were grabbed from some jungle in Malaysia, as they did not look local.

i think that there are some nep raffesianias there in goodwood for $8, they had about 4 inch pitchers. The person brings only 1 nep at a month i think.
colin: what do you plan to do with your cps when u are away? i might be going away too

wezx, I'm not sure, really. I'm planning on leaving them as they are, and getting someone to water them everyday for me.

Or I might bag them up, which means I don't have to water for a while, but I worry about light/heat issues.

why dont you set up a proper terrarium enclosed with misters to cool, fans for air circulation and lights with timers and water put trays of water for evaportion to water the plants... it might work!

One, because it's too much trouble.
Two, because I don't have the time.
Three, because it's too expensive,
and four, I don't have enough plants to justify a terrararium
smile.gif

Just wondering if anyone would like the idea of a "CP hotel" to park your plants...

That would be a great idea! How much a night
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (colinliew @ Nov. 30 2003,11:39)]Hawaii Landscape has some ventricosas at $20. Again, not in very good condition (I doubt there's a single nursery in Singapore that knows how to grow neps), will need lots of care.
Colin: Did u mentioned ventricosas at hawaii landscape??
Or is it ventrata?

This is because most of S'pore nurseries that I've went to in the past offered: rafflesiana, ventrata, alata and in rare cases ampullaria or gracillis.

I am 90% sure they are ventricosa, because the pitchers showed the very distinctive shape ventricosa displays in the peristome/pitcher mouth region.

It could be a ventrata that resembles a ventricosa, but since my own ventrata resembles the alata parent more than the ventricosa parent, I'm inclined to doubt it.

does anyone know where to buy the gracilis which grows like weed but have small pitchers?
like the one Cindy has

<span style='color:red'>CP hotel charges - FOC</span>

<span style='color:blue'>For the crazy CP lover to "adopt" other CP lovers' plants for a period of time.</span>

<span style='color:blue'>Great sense of responsibility required, TLC is a must!</span>

<span style='color:red'>Any takers?</span>  
wink.gif

<span style='color:green'>Btw, my growing-like-mad gracilis is available for FREE too...let me know if anyone of you are interested...fresh cutting or rooted cutting also can lah!</span>

Cindy, your plant hotel is an interesting idea. I'm always 'scared' to come back from holiday and look at my plants, especially the nepenthes.
I'm always willing to help anyone who needs help watering their plants when they are away.
On a different topic completely - - Singapore growers!! Where are your pics in the general discussion forum under the post your pics thread??? I've just posted mine today. Maybe we could start a S'pore one here in the Foreign forum. Cindy - do you want to start the topic? Early on in the general forum thread everyone was asking for your photo (Cindy's!).
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Happy growing, Neil.

Hi Cindy,

Any chance of getting a N. gracilis stem cutting from you?

Cindy, I think your CP hotel is a great idea! I would love to take care of others' CPs while they're away, but I'm going away soon too!

neil, I'm about to take some pictures of my CPs soon, perhaps I'll post them here. It's a bit difficult when you don't have a digital camera
smile.gif

Could I have any type of a rooted cutting from you?
Do you have any to spare?
Thankz:)

Calling all growers from Singapore::::
There is a post in the general discussion where you can post a pic if yourself. It is very interesting. There is Tamlin, Plantakiss and many others. I've also posted on page 18 if anyone wants to see how awful I look!!
This is a quote from Plantakiss <<<<
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Hi Neil
So glad you posted your pic.    Nice looking family you got there.  I wish you and the other Singeporeans (and other "foreigners") would pop over to the other forums more.  I hate to see things so segregated by country.  Tell the other folks to get over here and post their pics too.  We want to see our foreign CPers too!
>>>>>
So let's get all our photos of there!! Outside of the U.S. maybe we have the most growers from another country so let's show them that we exist. I am also interested to meet you all!! Don't be shy,...........
Happy growing, Neil.

Hi Neil,

I have posted my mug shot on the forum already! Since I am going to pass you some plants later, it is good that we know what we look like!
laugh.gif

To all SG growers, post your photograph leh!

Grow-like-crazy-gracilis (aka siow-siow gracie) cutting for:

guqin
jason

Let me know whether you want me to send you the cutting or pass it to you...
cool.gif

Any time will be fine, I'm in no hurry
When's good for you?

Jason

Guqin, saw your photo and also yours Cindy. It is great to finally see who we are talking to.
Still waiting for Colin, Ebeyonder, Jason, Vistary and the others.
Go to the 'It's that time again,...post your pics' under the general discussion forum, general discussion topic.
Happy growing, Neil
biggrin.gif

Back