What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which dried LFS to grow live LFS from?

I have tried the one from FEF. It's not the NZ one but an unlabelled pack selling at $2 each. No result. The only green stuff which grew was algae.

Has anyone managed to grow live LFS from any dried LFS bought in Singapore?

I think this technique does not work for the LFS sold in Singapore. I have tried three brands and all did not produce live sphagnum.

Yeah I grew a half kilogram bucket full, turned totally green in about two weeks
I bought mine during the Orchid festival at the botanical gardens about a month ago. Where did you buy yours, and how much sphagnum moss did the packet contain? (isn't $2 quite cheap for sphagnum moss?)
Jason

Hmm, how do you differeniate algae growing on the live sphagnum moss from actual growing (green) sphagnum moss, because mine has small hair like plants growing out of the sphagnum moss (is that live spahgnum moss?)
Jason

the NZ one from FEF works great for me. It turns live with almost any kind of light, sunlight/ PL light/etc

This is my life sphagnum:

sphagnum.JPG

Yup, the NZ one works fine for me too.
maybe you need the right lighting, try to use pure water when watering.

Thanks for all the replies.

The $2 pack I got is about half the volume of the $4-something NZ pack from FEF, so I guess it all works out. After all, it is FEF selling the moss
smile.gif

I think this has been mentioned before, but I'd just like to check the conditions of the successful growers again:

1. Do u shred the LFS or just put everything as they are?

2. How much light? Full sun or partial shade? I think this is the problem for me -- getting the right amount of light.

3. As Jason asked, how do u differentiate between newly-growing live LFS and algae? Will the brown dried LFS just turn green on the surface (like guqin's pic) or will small growing tips appear? I have some small hair like plants on some of my LFS, but I've been advised on the CPUK forum that that's just some kind of weed.

4. Finally, do u just put the dried LFS in a pot with a cover, or without a cover? On peat or without medium?

I'm trying to grow the moss as a backup to the live ones I currently have, in case they die. And a pot of them did -- their tips turned white and the whole thing looked like frost covered moss. Luckily, they're turning green now with much more watering.

Yes the Just moss from New Zealand is good for growing, although I have not had many live sphagnum plants yet...do you need to cover up the container in which you grow live sphagnum moss?I use rainwater for my sphagnum moss growing

Wow fantastic pic guqin! (looks like the live sphagnum moss has a green jelly coating!
biggrin.gif

Jason

I have had luck with the Chilean variety (the stuff I got at Lowe's). I don't believe it's considered as good as the NZ stuff. Seems to be taller and skinnier. I was able to grow it without any other medium. I just chopped it up, rehydrated with RO water, put a pretty ping in there, and put a tightly fitting plastic cup on top. I don't think that chopping it up makes any difference.

I keep it in an eastern facing window, so it gets some direct and indirect light. Spagnum moss tips will dry and die if not kept damp, so keep a watering tray underneath or at least spray it with water when it starts to dry out. My room humidity varies between 40-80%, so I usually spray every other day or just keep some water at the bottom.

Algae is usually slimy, darkish green, and shiny. Spag is usually spongy, fluffy, and a nice medium green color.

illl try answering but i might be wrong

1) i put everything as they are

2)i think brighter light is better but partial shade is ok too

3) the live spahgum will start off as small spikes around the middle.................(i can't explain)

4) i grow mine without cover

i think what spahgum moss need is mainly alot of water. All my spahgum moss (in pots)which are standing on a trays of water becomes live. The spahgum moss in my nep's pots don't

Back