What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bringing cps to Singapore from Malaysia

• Thread starter wezx
  • Start date
does any know if bringing plants from malaysia to singapore is allowed?I have a nep in Malaysia and i might be buying more... do i need a cert or anything?im going there and coming back by bus. Im worried because The security is quite tight now...
thanks

oh and happy Chinese New Year
smile.gif

I read it in the AVA website that plants from peninsula M'sia are allowed... also since we are able to bring in groceries like fresh vegetables from M'sia, I don't see y we can't bring in a plant.

Neps are under CITES so you'll need a CITES import cert and phytosanitory cert. There's no difference in you ordering, they send and you bringing in a nep yourself.

See:AVA conditions and regulations

Otherwise I'll be going to Malesiana to hand-pick some neps to bring home!  
tounge.gif

in another page of the AVA website they said that plants from west malaysia can be brought back. Thats where im am(KL). So far ive bought an N mirabilis 'green' for S$5 and a two plants in one pot , one plant has green pitchers and 1 plant has BLACK pitchers with some very hard to see specks. That cost S$14.
ive broght back neps by bus and other kinds of cps by car so it should be ok

GONG XI FA CHAI!

Attached is an extract of FAQ on the AVA websites that mentioned the only exemption of regulation for plant importation from West Malaysia, however it seems that CITES permit requirement is still applicable.

Q1:  What are the regulations regarding the import of plants?
A:  
• The import of plants is regulated by the Phytosanitary and Plant Quarantine Section of AVA.

• Plants can be imported into Singapore subject to the following requirements.

• West Malaysia: Presently there is no restriction.
laugh.gif
wezx  
laugh.gif

• Countries other than from South Africa Tropic: If the plant is imported without soil or growing medium (bare-rooted), a phytosannnitory certificate is required from the country of origin, declaring that the soil or growing medium is treated with the pesticides stated in the permit. If the plant is imported with soil or growing/potting medium (peat moss etc), an AVA Import Permit is required. The permit costs $18 and is valid for one consignment only and can be used within.

• 3 months. This permit should be acquired prior to import.

• Countries from South America Tropic: The import of soil/other growing medium or plants with soil/growing medium is not allowed. In addition to an AVA Import permit, the phytosanitary certificate form the country of origin should state that "The plants are free from South American Leaf Blight (Microcyclus ulei) or produced in regions free from South American Leaf Blight.

• In addition to the above conditions, all plants will be subjected to a post-entry inspection by AVA.

• For CITES controlled plants (Endangered plants), a CITES permit is required for import.

West Malaysia, - - does that include places like Malacca and KL? ?
Because if anyone is going to KL I saw on the news that pitcher plants are very popular for Chinese New Year. They showed a picture of a large clump of ground pitchers from Ampullaria in a pot. If anyone goes and could buy one for me,......I'll pay you back of course,........
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

Cindy - - You can go to Malesiana tropicals and hand pick your plants since they issue all the required certificates etc for import. You just need to plan ahead/liase with them to get the certificates available, depending on the plants you buy. My working colleague who lives in Kuching, once went personally to Malesiana tropicals and picked up my order. Unfortunately she doesn't work with me now.
sad.gif

Happy new year, and happy growing, Neil.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]"West Malaysia, - - does that include places like Malacca and KL? ?"

Yes, West Malaysia = Peninsula Malaysia
Sabah and Sarawak = East Malaysia

Malesiana tropicals is in East Malaysia, so technically it is subjected to AVA rules, however you can land at Senai Airport in Johore by Air Asia? and come to Singapore by land transport.
laugh.gif

JK

Ah! More neps! Being in army is not good for my nep collection!

Back