What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Long Fibre Sphagnum Moss from Jimei (S'pore)

Cindy

Staff member
After using it on some of my rooted, as well as unrooted, cuttings, I have to warn all of you not to buy the LFS from Jimei Nursery, Joan Road. It's probably from China. Stick to FEF Canadian LFS.

Reasons:
1. Lots of algae growth
2. Lots of fungus growth
3. Sphagnum doesn't regenerate as the Canadian LFS
4. Cuttings tend to rot in it; probably due to the fungi spores present
sad.gif

If any of you bought it, pour hot boiling water over it before use to kill off the algae/fungi spores.

Hello all again.... happy CNY to all!

Anyway, I've the Canadian LFS soaked and in the sun... still no growth after 1 mth. About how long would it take for it to grow?

Cindy: Isn't the LFS offered by FEF imported from NZ?

ebeyonder:Hi, welcome back! where have you been? the NZ LFS from FEF generates in about 2 weeks, try keeping it wet, bright and cool, that's how I do it.

Been busy with some work... bu now I'm back heh...

2 weeks? Looks like I've failed again. What are the first signs of growth like? The whole thing turns green or little strands of green?

tounge.gif
NZ alright, I've confused it with Canada Sphagnum Peat!

best way is to mix them with some LSM

Life Science Modules
tounge.gif

Phew, thanks for finding out Cindy! I was wondringt why my sphagnum moss wouldn't grow after I planted it two months back. The moss looked like it was growing however after a month or so it was emitting a kind of rotten smell.
The only "plant" I grew was algae. What should I do? Because the algae and other parasites having been growing there for 1 month already.

Should I still pour boiling water over it? Won't boiling water destory the sphagnum moss spores on the dry sphagnum moss as well as the algae or fungi spores?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Yup, we won't be able to get any LIVE moss from the LFS after HOT WATER treatment....I'll still use it for my neps 'cos it should be fine after the heat, just like pouring hot water over peat moss.
smile.gif

Back