What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flowering - My first flower

Hi singaporean cpers,
I have just had a sarracenia flower a few days ago, I discovered a "ball sitting on top of a tall stalk" and realised, in fascination, that this was a flower. I have never had a carnivorous plant flower for me before, and of course started reading up on every site about flowering sarracenia that I could find.

I was wondering whether anyone would want to trade pollen, or have their plant cross pollinate with mine. I know this may sound silly, but I want to get the "best" or most high quality seeds I can get, by finding another flowering sarracenia in this short period of time, before my flower blooms. The main reason I want to cross pollinate my plant's flower is because this process increases disease resistence and also increases variation among the species in the seed produced, as guqin will know, are good properties for a plant to have.

I'm asking this in singapore because I would want to go through the trouble of having the pollen sent overseas, then get updated on how the seeds are forming, then decide how to split the seeds...you get me, right?

Anyone who has a sarracenia, please post!
(Becasue I think my sarracenia's flower is about to open, and I am as much bursting with excitement at the moment.)
tounge.gif

Flower is soooo cute!
biggrin.gif

Thanks,
Jason

Yes, the flower is one of a kind. Very unique. Congratulations on the flowering!
smile.gif

Mine did not flower. But my friend's sarrs did, but last year. Alas, I attempted to self-pollinate that flower, but my efforts had been futile.
sad.gif

Thanks Guqin!
Guqin, you say that you pollinated a sarracenia flower before? How, and what equipment did you use to pollinate the flower? Toothpick? Brush? Finger?
tounge.gif

At what stage of flowering did you pollinate your friend's sarracenia flower(right after the flower opened or did you wait for some time)?

Thanks,
Jason

It was about three days after I noticed that it flowered. I used a small paint brush to transfer the pollen onto the stigma. The flower swelled up but three weeks later, it failed. So, no seeds at all.
sad.gif

Back