What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange phenomenon - D Capensis

rex,

When do you water your plant with the cool distilled water and how cool is cool?
smile.gif

I suspect the plant is just a tad unhappy with the sudden increase in light and the drop in humidity.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Cindy @ Mar. 11 2004,00:08)]rex,

When do you water your plant with the cool distilled water and how cool is cool?  
smile.gif

I suspect the plant is just a tad unhappy with the sudden increase in light and the drop in humidity.
Cindy,
I spray them with cool distilled water in the morning and evening,the water is from my company's drinking water machine,"Watson Distilled Water"Yes,i grow them in my office.i am not sure how cool is it,the pot always standing on water.I don't put the baby plants directly to the sunlight,mature is no problem!

The roots of your plants may be hurted,you should place them away from stronge sunlight.

rex

Hi Cindy,
I think the sudden change of you capensis when introduced to sunlight was a result of a sudden increase in light intensity. Sun (especially in Singapore) is MUCH more intense than flourescents.
I have found that my capensis don't like it to be too humid for too long, at least not without good air circulation. They also don't like to be too hot for too long (so cooling off at night will help with that problem).
If you wanted to windowsill grow one, I would suggest that you start it out in a window that only get one or two hours of early morning or late evening sun for a few weeks, then gradually increase the amount of sun. These are sunworshiping plants, but will get "soft" if grown under fluorescents....
Cheers!

Oh man I just had some D capensis germinate...now I don't know which ones they are because I oh so stupidly mixed them up with D spatulata...its important to keep the plant's identity, right?

BTW, should I transplant the seeds at this stage...they're on LFS...some of them are so small that they haven't fully gotten out of their cotyledons yet!
When, how, and into what mix should I transplant them in? Will algae engulf seedlings after germination (are they dangerous?), or will they only engulf seeds before germination, cuz I think some of my seedlings are growing on the algae covered sphagnum moss itself.

Sorrry...too many questions again?

Jason

I don't have an anwer to your question, but I can share my current seedling experience. Among the many seeds I've been germinating, recently, I have a container teeming with D. burmannii and growing right with it is a top layer of algae. For now, the algae doesn't appear to be hurting the seedlings. All of my seedling containers, after a few weeks of saturating them keeping them covered, and applying light through window sills, result in both germination and algae. Also, having attempted cultivation and transplanting of pansy seeds with the Jiffy peat pellet trays, the seedlings didn't like the process. They showed their collective displeasure by quickly dying. Transplanting seedlings is a high risk process. Don't seedlings in the wild have to deal with algae as well?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ Mar. 30 2004,8:27)]Oh man I just had some D capensis germinate...now I don't know which ones they are because I oh so stupidly mixed them up with D spatulata...its important to keep the plant's identity, right?

BTW, should I transplant the seeds at this stage...they're on LFS...some of them are so small that they haven't fully gotten out of their cotyledons yet!
When, how, and into what mix should I transplant them in? Will algae engulf seedlings after germination (are they dangerous?), or will they only engulf seeds before germination, cuz I think some of my seedlings are growing on the algae covered sphagnum moss itself.

Sorrry...too many questions again?

Jason
To ID the seedlings you may need to wait till they get larger.  It will be easy to tell the capensis from the spats once they start growing mature leaves.

I haven't tried transplanting seeds from LFS.  So I don't know if their roots will have grown into the LFS at this stage or not.  Assuming that you can get the seedlings out without damage to the roots, then 50:50 peat moss:sand or perlite soil mix is what I use for my spats and caps.

With algae, your best bet is prevention.  Rinsing the LFS thoroughly to remove nutrients before sowing seed helps slow down the formation of algae.  It can't be eliminated entirely, as the spores are carried on the wind and go everywhere.  An idea to consider is gently misting the LFS around the seedlings with a misting spray bottle to nock down the algae a little.  This might be enough that it won't take over.

There's no such thing as to many questions. If you don't beleive me ask Jimscott
laugh.gif
!

smile.gif

BCK

Oh yeah, I forgot about the algae in the wild and them spores being carried everywhere...maybe I'll let the seedlings grow on the algae for a little while longer and see whether they can deal witht eh algae themselves like all their relatives in the wild!
wink.gif

Thanks for da info,
smile.gif

Jason

Back