What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misters for Neps

• Thread starter vistary
  • Start date
Anyone of you guys use misters for your neps?
If so what type of containers do you place them in and how often you operate them?
I just bought 3 misters and i am in the process of building my neps enclosure.
wink.gif

I grow all my neps outside. I think SG's weather is humid enough for the lowlanders that I am growing.

Does anyone know whether N.bicalarata is a lowlander? I don't think singapore's weather is doing mcuh for it...also does anyone know how to "bring a nep back to life", because one of my dead neps (totally dried brown) suddenly sent out a shoot (NOT a weed as it has pitchers), and I'm stunned cuz this have never happened to me before,
wow.gif
despite all the neps which have perished under my care...
tounge.gif
. Should I cut off the stem of the already wilted brown plant like my brother said, or just leave it alone to bud by itself (if there are still are living veins in it, that is. Oh yeah, the topmost "fresh" shoot the bical was sending out is still a little dull green. Does that help the situation? Maybe I should be asking this in the nep board...
BTW vistary, I put my neps on the windowsill (one of the few rare ones that recieves sufficient sunlight for cp growing) (fresh air good for plant you know)
tounge.gif
wink.gif
. I agree with guqin, who needs a mister in singapore (having lived here all my life and I still have NOT gotten used to it...)
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jason

Jason, I use misters in my chamers.  I also use a humidifier in the highland and a vaporizer in the lowland.  I run the misters twice a day.  The humidifier and vaporizer are used at night to bring the temp to where I want it.

One mister is placed in a fancy urn. This must be partially lidded due to the water splash. The other is in a large bowl. It is not too attractive, but will due for now.

I got the misters because my N. bical havent pitcher for almost 6mths, the tendril ends always get burnt
sad.gif

Hope it'll start to do so soon
besides the mister's effect is really spectacular, resembles the SBG cool house or some highland tropical rainforest.
130564318TWywsA_ph.jpg

My bical was just starting to send out a pitcher (from a tendril), but then my newbie care got the better of it and it sort of wilted, but I don't think the problem was due to lack of water...or it may have been...it was raining all week but there were some dry periods in between, could have dried out then. Have to find a way to get it to send out a green shoot...my other nep did this after it "died"...probably had some living cells in its stem, hope my bical does too. Does anyone know how I can induce the bical to produce a new shoot from a dried out stem? Should I cut it, and if so, where? Is there any source which I can get info from eg.books, websites etc?

I have to hurry otherwise it WILL totally "die".

Thanks,
Jason

Jason: just curious, where did u get your bical from?

I thought I had a bical from Melasiana but it turned out to be a bical x gracilis hybrid. From what I understand and read, bical could probably do well with less light, at for us living in SG. Perhaps the addition of some peat in the potting mix could also help as I thought that it is found in peat swamps of north western borneo.

guqin, that Malesiana bical we bought together is a bical-gracilis hybrid?!

Apparently so. If you look carefully, the pitchers are more slender than the original bical. In addition, the fangs are also smaller. I think someone mentioned about this before in the Nep discussion forums.

Vistary, my aunt in malaysia bought it for me, and I collected the bical (baby but still with four pitchers, three now because the wind ripped on off against the fence). I collected de bical the last time I visited her.

Have to find a way to save it...anybody now how?
(By cutting or what, read my last post!)

Jason

[b said:
Quote[/b] (guqin @ April 04 2004,4:59)]I think someone mentioned about this before in the Nep discussion forums.
I was the one
tounge.gif

when I boought it, Malesiana told me that it was a red giant bical, however when i received it, it didnt resemble a bical and i emailed them,. They replied me saying it was a red bical x gracillis!!
not only that it didnt resemble a bical, it cost me S$36+ for that tiny plant.

Ah, ok... but vistary, the one u got was labelled "red, giant form" or something like that right? Guqin, the one we have is from marudi or something like that.... as for me, the first few pitchers were slender but now the latest one is fat, bottom-heavy and kinda reddish!
smile.gif

Hmmm. I vaguely remember mine was labelled Marudi red, or something like that, Must wait for the next few pitchers to come up to confirm. I am not in SG at the moment. Will keep you all informed when I get back on 9 May!

Noooo...my bical is perishing (or already has) read my post (in here or in the nep boards - helpppppp!
wink.gif

I just bought my first mister, yippeee!
biggrin.gif

Now I have to figure out how to make it work...so exciting
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Jason:p

Jason: where u got it from and how much is it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vistary @ April 13 2004,5:40)]Jason: where u got it from and how much is it?
Hmmm?

Vistary, are you talking about bical or mister?
wink.gif

Still need help...anyone? read my last post!
wink.gif

I mean for the bical, not much for the mister...

Back