What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP shops in S.E.A

Hi Steven,

Are those cp pics from collectors_carnivorous_plants @ triffidpark? Cephalotus for around A$10, good price.

Must make a visit some day
sad.gif

The place i went to was collectors corner
Quite a nice place its not only CP there was only 1 table of CP there But Quite a lot of plants
Its the First CP shop i have been to that has more than 3 plants so it might not seem like much to you
Next time i will try and go to triffidpark
Regards
Steven

SG CP collectors' meeting sounds good, though I'll have trouble making attendance since I'm serving NS... Speaking of plants, I'm still waiting for my Malesiana order...

To return to the initial topic ...
smile.gif

We are setting up the first cp only nursery in the Philippines, just south of Manila. We don't have many different species for sale yet, but it might help people getting started with these fascinating plants. Available now are N. bicalcarata, N. truncata, N. ventricosa, N. ventrata, N. rafflesiana and maybe more...
We are a distributor of Malesiana plants and our prices will be similar to theirs, but without the freight charges, application of import permit and other hassles. Yes, and our sales are within the Philippines only. Therefore I hope this is ok to post here...
Happy growing, Volker
PS: Website will be placed here soon

steven: the cp fotos look great!! the cephatalotus is really cheap!
I may be going to Australia this June. I'll try bringing some cephatalotus in, since its so cheap over there.

Me too, I might be going to melborne (sp?) in June to visit my cousin.

Is triffid park anywhere near Melbourne?
Haven't heard of 'Keysbrough' before...

Is it safe (for me and the plants) to bring cps into Singapore, say by plane...like from australia? Because I've done it from Thailand before and the plane people don't seem to mind...or maybe its because they didn't find out...:;):
Will I get fined if I do this?
(And will the plane be safe for the plants? Dangerous (crushing) air pressure...:p

Jason

handcarry will be fine i guess, if the customs ever ask, just say they are vegetables
tounge.gif

but if u want to bring in plants to australia, it will be difficult, the customs there are very strict.
cool.gif

It is not ok to import cp without phytosantiary certificates and CITES paperwork and you can expect hefty fines if you are caught trying to do so. You were lucky that you didn't get caught. I am actually surprised that Singapore customs is not so 'strict' ?? In Australia they will even check how clean your shoes in your baggage are if you have bad luck. Been there done that...
smile.gif

Especially nowadays bagagge gets well checked everywhere, so beware.
So, better stick to seeds or order from international nurseries, who do the proper paperwork.

I’m Am an Australian And i can say the same as vistary did that the customs are very strict and taking plants to Australia
sad.gif
although we wont to bring them from Australia the customs in Australia don’t mind you taking plants out as long as there not collected from the wild
Yes keysbrough is one of the suburbs of Melbourne it wasn’t that far but it might cost a bit if you take a taxi.
You will have to check with the Singapore customs if you can bring in plants the might still ask for a Phytosanitary Certificate
sad.gif

I hand carry my plants back on the plan
I am thinking of going to Singapore on the 16 to the 18 April for the Asia scuba diving expo do anyone know if you can take plants from Singapore to Malaysia across the border not the airport ?
Someone sad from Malaysia to Singapore is ok
biggrin.gif

Regards
Steven

Its okay...I've done it before - don't tell them!
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Oh dear, when did we give the impression that Singapore is not strict about the import of live species?  
wow.gif

Please read: Import & Export of Plants and Plant Products

Not kidding but if caught, the fines are hefty.

For example, given our heavy traffic of passengers who transit at our international airport, if caught, it's capital punishment for trafficking in more than 15 grams (half an ounce) of heroin, 30 grams of cocaine or 500 grams of cannabis!!!

Most importantly, it's not about the hefy fines or the punishment we'll get but the responsibility of protecting our remaining wildlife population in Singapore.  Getting the plants "phytosanitory certified" would mean that they are free from plant diseases which may harm our local species of plants. Imagine introducing some new plant viruses or bacteria that have never been to Singapore...just like how SARS was introduced into the local community!!!  We at least have doctors who can help us but plants can't verbalise their pain like we can and they can't turn to anything for help.
sad.gif

Bottomline is: Pay for the certs and keep our wildlife population intact.

And: Share your certified plants via cuttings/seeds.
wink.gif

Hi All
Maybe I gave the wrong impression in my Post at the bottom I was just asking if anyone knows about exporting plants from Singapore to West Malaysia as I live in penang.
On the AIA website it stats that
[/QUOTE]
Q1:  What are the regulations regarding the import of plants?
A:  
• The import of plants is regulated by the Phytosanitary and Plant Quarantine Section of AVA.

• Plants can be imported into Singapore subject to the following requirements.

• West Malaysia: Presently there is no restriction.

• Countries other than from South Africa Tropic: If the plant is imported without soil or growing medium (bare-rooted), a phytosannnitory certificate is required from the country of origin, declaring that the soil or growing medium is treated with the pesticides stated in the permit. If the plant is imported with soil or growing/potting medium (peat moss etc), an AVA Import Permit is required. The permit costs $18 and is valid for one consignment only and can be used within.

• 3 months. This permit should be acquired prior to import.

• Countries from South America Tropic: The import of soil/other growing medium or plants with soil/growing medium is not allowed. In addition to an AVA Import permit, the phytosanitary certificate form the country of origin should state that "The plants are free from South American Leaf Blight (Microcyclus ulei) or produced in regions free from South American Leaf Blight.

• In addition to the above conditions, all plants will be subjected to a post-entry inspection by AVA.

• For CITES controlled plants (Endangered plants), a CITES permit is required for import.
Is this the same for Exporting to West Malaysia?
By all means the regulations should be followed that is why I’m trying to check to see if I can export them from Singapore to Malaysia before I go and buy the plants and get stopped at the customs.
Regards
Steven

Okay, now I'm scared...don't think I'll try that again...:D
Thanks Cindy for enlightening me with all the important aspects of importation...
wink.gif

Phew, when I think of all the times I could have gotten caught...
wink.gif

Jason:p

steven: what plants do you intend to get from the S'pore nursery?

Any CP that i can Find that i dont already have
biggrin.gif

As im not to sure what there is avalable im sure there will be the local Neps i would like to get some more VFT, Sarracenia and Drosera as my last one died of funges
sad.gif

There was some talk the FEF had some Sarracenia.
Any othere shops i should try
I would also like to get some good spagnum moss

FEF's good for VFT, Drosera and Sarracenia. There is usually a steady supply.

The neps you can usually find somewhere in Singapore are N. rafflesiana, N. gracilis, N. ampullaria, N. x ventrata, N. x Gentle, N. x Miranda and if you're lucky some of the more exotic varieties.

steven: while in S'pore, you shld visit the SBG cool house which houses many CP.... the last time i been there was a 3 mths ago... not sure what changes have been made.
also, if u r unfamiliar with the S'pore nurseries, let us know
wink.gif

Back