What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anything new round here?

I'm bored so I thought of starting a thread to keep what we see in the nursuries up to date. I'll start us off by saying that there are some capensis back in FEF Thomson. Never thought they would bring in capensis again, due to the fact all their previous stocks DIED.
mad.gif

So, has anyone found anything new?

Maybe we should start a thread to keep everyone up to date with what other singaporean growers have. This will open up a wider field for trade and it will be easy to send plants, we can even meet up. What do you guys think?
smile_l_32.gif

Jason

Well, some updates from my little Nep. growing area. My Nep. campanulata is going to flower. This is the second flower spike that it is sending out (the first spike got burned in the sun). I will see whether it is a male or female. If the baby is male, I will see whether anyone would like to have the pollen.

I brought a Utric. from France when I came back in May this year. It was labelled as Utric. alpina. After checking the books, I think it might be Utric. livida instead. I will try to get it to flower to confirm the identity before I offer it as a trade to others here.

Update here is:

1) all my neps DIED went i went away, so now i dont plan to keep neps anymore because they take up too much space

2) bought an ikea 3 teir metal shelve, new setup looks great!

3) Got many plants from triffid park when i went to melbourne, ill be sharing them later

guqin u still want some utric? if so ill send them with the seeds

what happened to ebeyonder, conlin and vistary?

Colin's neps are doing fine... Bought some neps from MT a few months ago, all have survived, thankfully.

Current growlist:
1. N. truncata
2. N. sanguinea (two forms)
3. N. x Gentle
4. N. x Miranda
5. N. x Ventrata
6. N. rafflesiana (two forms)
7. N. bicalcarata
8. N. ampullaria
9. N. reinwardtiana
10. N. albomarginata
11. N. maxima
12. N. veitchii

Thinking of getting a new setup for my plants, but can't imagine what yet.

Right, I've gotten into a 2nd generation mix-up because I think I planted seeds of D.dielsiana, spatulata/Italy, communis, capillaris and possibly montana together. Its going to be a headache figuring what the babies are when they come up. Anyway, the identity of the first generation is screwed up (the plants I got from triffid park), so if I get seed, should I just label them dielsiana/spatulata/spatulata 'Italy'/communis/capillaris/montana, or as 'assorted dosera seeds'?

Ah, I see Colin is growing Nep. truncata. Can this species grow well in SG's climate?

wezx, I can offer you a rooted cutting of a Nep. hybrid, which I think is a ampullaria x rafflesiana. The pitchers look like ampullaria, but the leaves are much bigger and somewhat similar to rafflesiana. Post here or email me if you are interested.

I think vistary's got some new VFTs for sale. I'll be going to Hong Yee's place tomorrow to pick up a few of my plants, he's quite busy right now but I managed to set up an appointment with him in the morning. Anyone been to his place recently, anything new?

I have not been to his place since last July! Hope that he still has some interesting stuff! Keep us informed, please.

Hello everyone! I've been quite busy lately so I haven't had the time to visit the nurseries and all... however all my plants are doing ok and my drosera intermedias are flowering like crazy. Anyone wants seeds, tell me. My B.liniflora, true to its characteristic as an annual, has died, but thankfully, its seeds have germinated and now I have 3 pots of little liniflora. Wexz, the little D.binata you gave me has started to produce longish leaves... not exactly forked leaves yet but it's getting there
smile.gif
The one which came from the root cuttings (I'm quite sure it's a binata and not some weed) hasn't produced any tentacles yet but its "leaf stalks" are getting longer with each growth. I'll be leaving for the US in a mth's time, so hopefully I can see more CPs there... maybe even visit the nursery of the author of Savage Garden!

Hi everyone,
I just came back from Perth.. surprising I didnt manage to find a single cephalotus.
My VFT all in the fridge.... I guess dats the best way to take care of them when I am out of S'pore on holidays... no need to bother anyone with taking care of them.
I been to the Kinokuniya bookshop and saw them selling a VCD collection on a BBC documentary of "the private life of plants" I guess it has some CP featured in it. It was priced at 18... anyone has this VCD or knows where in S'pore where u can get it for at a lower price?

Wah! The mecca of CPs. Bought anything interesting?

My updated CP list:

Nepenthes
ampullaria spotted
alata (2 lowlands, 1 highland - just took 2 cuttings)
gracilis (2 types - one grows like weed but pitchers are small, good for newbies, another deep maroon type on the way)
rafflesiana
reinwardtiana
albomarginata
bicalcurata (still no pitchers)
mirabilis (2 types)
emmerene
ventrata
ventricosaXmaxima
tobaicaXthorelli

Ping
sethos
ehlersiae (baby)
agnata (baby)

Drosera
intermedia
spatulata
burmanni
filiformis

confused.gif
My d.regia, p.cyclosecta, p.laueana and all pygmies died in the warm nights.

I have so few left that I can type them all out without looking for them:

Dorsera intermdia
D. burmannii
D. filiformis

Nep. gracilis (aka 'siow siow graci' from Cindy)
Nep. alata (from Sumatra)
Nep. albomarginata
Nep. bicalcurata
Nep. campanulata
Nep. rafflesiana
Nep. ampullaria x rafflesiana
Nep. hybrids (2 types - unknow identity)

Ping. 'sethos'

Sarr. purpurea

Utric. livida (I think)
Utric. sandersonii (barely alive)
Utric. gibba

VFT (Typical)
VFT (Akai Ryu)

SUP everyone, good 2 see you guys back
HI guqin i would love a a rooted cutting of a Nep. Can it survive in about 40-50% natural sunlight?
hey i lost your address, can you pm me or post it here ? i hope your utric don't get squached by the postmanguy
smile_n_32.gif

vistary: download the video
smile.gif

ebeyonder: wow i thought it would have forked by now? how long did the cuttings take to get to that size? i just did some cuttings on my binata

nice grow lists everyone!

mine:

neps:

ALL MY NEPS DIED when i was in malaysia and melbourne
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

VFT:

'Fast'
'Fang'
'Paradisia'
'Long Red fingers'
'pink venus'
'typical'
'low giant'

ping:

ping [looong name]

drosera (not sure of spelling)

filiformis
communis
dielsiana
Binata extreme Marston dragon
Binata t-form
sp. madagascar
capensis 'alba'
burmanii
spatula
2 unknown
D. intermedia 'cuba'
My D. intermediate psco or something DIED of fungus attack, luckly i saved some seeds

Sarr:

6 unknown from triffid park

smile.gif

Most of his Hong Yee's plants are in dormancy right now (in the fridge), although he still has many rosetted doseras including a weird spoon sharped one - falconeri? and red filiformises. He's quite busy now, don't know when he'll be having his open house - he mentioned it since last year!

Ebeyonder: Who will be taking care of your plants when you go to the US?

Ok, I'm bored again, so I thought I would put on my growlist since few ppl have already:

Dosera:
D. intermidia
D. filiformis
D. capensis 'typical'
D. capensis 'alba'
D. binata 'T form'
D. Spatulata 'typical'
D. Spatulata 'Italy'
D. Spatulata 'Kansai'
D. Dielsiana
D. Communis
D. Capillaris
D. Burmanii
Possible - D. Montana

Dionaea:
'typical'
'paradisia'
'burbank's best'
'pink venus'
2 unknown - might be 'fang' and another 'typical'

Nepenthes:
N. atala
N. 'siow siow gracilis'
smile_n_32.gif
biggrin.gif

N. 'mutant form'
1 unknown - bought from my brother - might be N. 'gentle' or N. rafflesiana (colinliew where are you...)

Pinguicula:
P. 'Emarginata' X 'Weser'

Sarracenia:
S. catesbaei
S. psittacina
2 unknown - might be leucophylla

Darlingtonia Californica - cobra lily

Utricularia
U. 'subtulata'/'bisquamata'

Other plants
Potato plant
Baby Orchid
1 unknown - tall growing tree, seed picked up from school...
biggrin.gif

Live Sphagnum Moss, dead sphagnum moss, dried sphagnum moss...

Jason

Jason I'm right here at the moment, all other times when I'm not, I'm probably in camp...

guqin, my N. truncata is growing like a snail, and is still quite small, but the pitchers it's producing are getting larger, so I assume it's surviving in our climate.

Hmmm, my siow siow gracilis is growing as its name suggests, I expect it to outgrow its terrarium in a few months time. A few of the older pitchers died back but it is producing ever increasingly bigger pitchers. 2"...wow...
biggrin.gif

Hey colinliew, could you identify one of my neps if I posted a pic of it? I suspect its one of the easy-to-name species, but I'm not really good with neps...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

Back