What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singaporeans only

hey Lam_wn...

Well, maybe your VFTs are genetically incline not to produce much of red colouration... the colouration also depends on the genetic disposition... not just the sunlight. VFT f heterophylla will always be green under full sun, they do not have the genetic traits to produce red pigmentation on their leaves. Royal reds will just fire up with maroon leaves and traps with just little light. But i guess with 9am to 4pm of direct sun is enough for your VFTs to grow well...

Usually i realise VFTs grow in a certain direction, until it reaches to the corner of the pot, that's when i repot them or when they deteriorate.

Hmm... i think singapore water is just fine for CPs, but u have to beware of mineral build up... Usually when it rains heavily, the rain is enough to wash away certain amount of excess minerals on the soil. Just like today?
smile_n_32.gif

Hey Clayton, it's nice to know that there're more Singaporeans growing CPs. Anyway, I just received my new order of 6 Neps from Malesiana yesterday (Thanks Jason!), which brings my collection of Nep species to double figures now. Anyway, I was just wondering, Clayton, do you put your VFTs through dormancy?

hey ebeyonder,

I visited your website some time ago in may and emailed you... about certain plant availibility...

Anyway i'm impressed by your filiformis! it's outstandingly beautiful! what's your secret to it?

My VFTs don't go through dormancy, i just place them out in the tropical weather... it hasn't flowered at all, and since it never show any sense of unhappiness i just leave it alone... and also, i don't require them to produce any seeds... so it's just fine for them and me as well.

Hi Clayton, welcome to the forums! Who knows how many more decade-old growers are still out there...
smile_l_32.gif

I just finished with 13 plants from Malesiana (plus more from Cindy) so I've had about enough of soil and all that for today.

I've just noticed an interesting similarity...I'm experiencing much of what Clayton did a decade ago...(exams, 'el nino', triffid park, collection explosion, more EXAMS...). What little change, huh? Youths never fail to be fascinated by cps...Interesting to see how 'El nino' keeps popping up as well, really need to get an irrigation system...

Hey wassup clayton!

nice pics and growlist! I noticed that u were quite into vfts from triffid... i am too!

my big mouth is booming, traps are about an inch+ big. Ive tried dormancy, but the VFTs just die. I noticed yout 'cross-teeth in the background of the pics, how's your's doing? mine has totally uncrosses! Funny, because my 'vigorous' has started crossing like crazy!

Anyway nice 2 meet you
wezx

[b said:
Quote[/b] (clayton @ Sep. 03 2005,3:00)]hey ebeyonder,

I visited your website some time ago in may and emailed you... about certain plant availibility...

Anyway i'm impressed by your filiformis! it's outstandingly beautiful! what's your secret to it?

My VFTs don't go through dormancy, i just place them out in the tropical weather... it hasn't flowered at all, and since it never show any sense of unhappiness i just leave it alone... and also, i don't require them to produce any seeds... so it's just fine for them and me as well.
Hey Clayton, did I reply your email? I'm sorry if I didn't - I don't check that address very often.

Anyway, the filiformis - I have them grown outdoors in very large pots. That's about it! Everything you see on my website came from one single plant! Maybe it's just a vigorous type. If you like - and this offer is open to all Singaporeans - I can send you some leaf cuttings.

Jason: I'm very scared of El Nino! I'd rather have La Nina instead where we get lotsa rain water here many and the trees and grasses gets greener on the roadside...

wezx: Hi! Well, yeah i'm quite into VFTs, strangely my VFTs never bloom when they are with me, they only send out traps and that's what they do only... My cross teeth ain't doing that well, it has fungal growth and i'm trying to contain it... my smaller species of VFTs are having this fungal growth, and it's difficult for me to diagnose it haha and eradicate it... but so far the traps are getting larger... i'll see what it becomes as it hits maturity, hopefully soon...
Ihave this Big Vigorous from Donna i think 5 years back and it's really huge... traps are green, but the size is about more than an inch... i has gone bigger before... until i just repotted it when i think it had a mild root shock...

Ebeyonder: Hmm.. what's your filiformis form? Mine is just filiformis when i got from triffid park... strangely enough, it has dormant buds now... some of the side shoots send out leaves now.. 1 of the main bud is in dormant state... however, i have another baby plant growing at the corner of the pot, maybe by runners? i don't know... i just hope mine become as nice as yours. Do you just leave it out in the open or indoors? do you put them in the fridge at all? and pot-wise... do u put them in deep pots, or wide shallow pots to spread the roots out?

I just got 2 D regias from triffid park... 1 is almost going to hades to report... the other trying to survive... i'm pretty optimistic about the one trying to survive, coz the main rosette hasn't turn black, unlike the other... i'm contemplating if i should use a dome to increase the humidity or not? or should i just leave it in my room for a while in the air-con to let it "dry up" a little? I read somewhere singapore's humidity is too much for it to take, so if i cover it in a dome it's gonna be worse?

Clayton, if I were you I would choose to "dry up" the D.regia a little rather than increasing the humidity. For the past 2 days, our relative humidity has been over 80%!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

hello... i've already semi exposed the plant to my air conditioned room atmoshphere... but wouldn't it be too dry? i'm just too worried i guess! My precious!

Back