What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Singaporeans only

Cindy

Staff member
...the N.maxima x ventricosa aka as the N.x"Red Leopard"??  
smile_m_32.gif

Basal Pitcher

mxvbasalpitcher2_rs.jpg

Intermediate Pitcher

mxvupperpitcher1_rs.jpg

mxvupperpitcher2_rs.jpg

What do you all think? I've got cuttings up for grabs before but no one was interested so here's a few pics to get you interested.  
smile_n_32.gif

Am I mad or am I mad?  
confused.gif
 Fancy giving away plants like that...well, you see...my balcony's too small for my plants. And I moved into the flat only slightly more than a year ago. lol

If I want a greater variety, I have to chop the plants down and give them away.
smilie4.gif

Hi Cindy, I wasn't in Singapore at the last offer, but now that I am back, can I please have a portion? Thanks!
smile.gif

1st to volunteer to adopt my "mxv". Thanks, ebeyonder. Throwing them away is such a waste. This plant can take more light probably because of its highland parentage. The colour you see is not the best yet. My balcony faces south and only gets about an hour of the setting sun.

Now I really need to send the cuttings to you.
smile_n_32.gif
N.gracilis cuttings have got roots already!

WHOOP! Am I I-N-T-E-R-E-S-T-E-D!!! That is if you have any more left...
smile.gif

Jason

2nd volunteer.
smile.gif

little late but i'd love one if there are anymore left...? Has my bro contacted u about the super plant pickup/delivery/collection?

thx
biggrin.gif

Let's see...

ebeyonder
wezx
Lam_wx
Jason
Jalan kayu

Okie...

I've just checked. There are 4 young established plants from previous cuttings (4-5 inch across the leaves).

j/k, if it is fine with you, I'll pass you a fresh cutting? The rest gets the babies?

I've taken some leaf cuttings from D.petiolaris, we'll see if they strike...  
smile_m_32.gif

Hello Peeps,

I'm a carnivorous plant enthusiast for a decade and have been growing them since like 12 years old. Anyway, it's nice to know many singaporeans(surprisingly) are picking this up as a hobby.

From what i read thru the previous post, i guess most of you guys buy plants from Triffid Park? Yeah, they are quite a good nursery i must say, friendly and sorts. Anyone has experience in sucess with D regias and D schizandras here? It seems D. schizandras can't grow as well as D. adelae in my balcony with full day sun. D. adelae has turn bronze red and getting many growth points. I've manage to adapt all my plants here pretty well, including temperate species. Yep, any tips to keep those 2 surviving? I manage to get 2 D. regias from Triffid Park, so i'm pretty jittery about them acclimatizing outdoors in Singapore's climate. Just hope it works out.

Nice meeting you guys anyway.

Cheers
Clayton

Cindy
fresh cutting is fine, thanks.

Hi Clayton,
Welcome to the forum.

my experience with D regias are from seeds but gone after awhile
Have not try D schizandras

Welcome too, Clayton.

I used to have D.regia from seed but it died after a while. Probably due to the warm and humid nights here.

What media are you using for D.adelae? For me, it is pretty prone to root rot. You mentioned you grow it on your balcony with full day sun...is it windy there? And you mean direct sunlight?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I'm just glad someone here is able to grow it well. I spent the entire afternoon surfing the internet for information but didn't find very much.

A thesis is most welcome!
smile_m_32.gif

And do tell us what other CPs you grow.

hello cindy,

my adelaes grow in 2 part peat moss 1 part perlite, and on the surface of the pot, i line them up with spagnum moss to prevent splattering of the soil during heavy rains, however, it's prone to grow algae... in this pic, it was just repotted... i did away with the sphagnum moss and just put peat and perlite instead, coz it gets too algae-ish and prone to slime mould due to decaying sphagnum...

OK, my plants are in my balcony, grown in direct sunlight from 8am to sunset about 6 plus... but i place the adelaes under a pot of young N. rafflesiana, but the shade provided by the Nep is pretty negligible.  The plant is currently bronze red...

D.jpg

Yep, hope u like the pic...

other than that i water everyday using saucer method... allow it to dry out then replenish the water again until it's full... i suspect your plant do not have enough light or maybe the drainage is a bit poor that might cause the rot. that's my suspicion...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (clayton @ Aug. 31 2005,10:13)]hello cindy,

my adelaes grow in 2 part peat moss 1 part perlite, and on the surface of the pot, i line them up with spagnum moss to prevent splattering of the soil during heavy rains, however, it's prone to grow algae... in this pic, it was just repotted... i did away with the sphagnum moss and just put peat and perlite instead, coz it gets too algae-ish and prone to slime mould due to decaying sphagnum...

OK, my plants are in my balcony, grown in direct sunlight from 8am to sunset about 6 plus... but i place the adelaes under a pot of young N. rafflesiana, but the shade provided by the Nep is pretty negligible.  The plant is currently bronze red...

D.jpg

Yep, hope u like the pic...

other than that i water everyday using saucer method... allow it to dry out then replenish the water again until it's full... i suspect your plant do not have enough light or maybe the drainage is a bit poor that might cause the rot. that's my suspicion...
Hi, thats a nice plant, and sounds pretty hot!
I am more into neps, was wondering what other neps which you grow appreciate that type of full sunlight treatment? (and besides gracilis also)
but just out of curiosity, what does the slime or algae from the spaghnum do? My spaghnum is frequently also algae-ish, is it very harmful?
Thanks

smile_k_ani_32.gif
 Wow! That's a beauty compared to mine. Thanks for sharing the picture and the method of cultivation. I am more hopeful now.

Btw, do I see an VFT at the back? And what flowers are those?

Okay, give us your history of keeping CPs...
smile_m_32.gif

Here's mine.
First CP: VFT. It flowered and died. Second CP: Another VFT. Died too. I started in 1998 but got more plants in year 2000 when I had to rest at home after an operation. Just to keep myself sane. And became insane with my obsession with CPs. It's my true nature, my dad spoke of this "pig cage grass" when I was a young child. And how of my granddad brought it home from Sentosa and how big the cages were. It was a nepenthes.

My current growlist.
Nepenthes
ampullaria spotted
alata (lowland)
bicalcarata
albomarginata
campanulata
campanulata x veitchii
emmarene (khasiana x ventricosa – aka Savannah Rose)
gracilis (3 types. 1st - grows like weed but pitchers are small, 2nd -  local maroon and 3rd - black)
maxima x ventricosa (aka Red Leopard)
mirabilis (2 types – all green and red peristome)
miranda
rafflesiana (young)
rafflesiana x veitchii (aka N.Dicksoniana)
reinwardtiana (2 types from different places)
tobaica x thorelli
truncata
ventrata
ventricosa
ventricosa x campanulata

Ping
sethos

Drosera
intermedia (Cuba, USA)
spatulata (Kansai/Tokaiensis)
filiformis
binata var. multifida f. extrema
binate var. dichotoma f. large
dilatato-petiolaris
adelae

Lam_wn: hello, well, i've tried many other neps such as rafflesiana, gracilis, (maxima x mixta) x maxima and ampullarira... i've grown all of them in partial sunlight, however, they are exposed to full afternoon sun and evening sun... they seem to do fine. In fact, i think if Neps, do not get enough sun, they get leggy.

Well, slime mould and algae can be unsightly sometimes. Plus, let's say if u have unsuspecting seedlings of sundews hatching, the slime would will creep over and cover the undew thus suffocating it. So be sure there isn't any rotting matter to allow the slime mould from feeding on it.

Cindy: hahaha... glad u are inspired! Yep, it's a VFT. with me for 4 years already. It's Fang bought in Tampines. I have also another VFT pic, perhaps i will post it up again. Somehow, i always rely on sunlight and wind to keep my CPs surviving out here... Many of my friends who live in flats didn't have their CPs surviving for long due to lack of sun. So far Pings, did well in their house but not for mine.
mad.gif

Here is my growlist:

D. ascendens (getting seeds from UK)
D. binata var. multidia f extrema
D. binata var dichotoma f large
D. burmanii
D. adelae
D. intermedia "california sunset"
D. filiformis, not sure what form though
D. derbyensis
D. petiolaris f. all red (i read somewhere it's mislabelled, Triffid park said they took the plants out from tissue culture and that's what it's been labelled, so they just abide to what's being labelled, not entirely their fault, but i still believe it's petiolaris somehow, coz i've been buying things from them since 15)
D. dilatato-petiolaris
D. regia (receiving from triffid park soon)
B. liniflora
N. rafflesiana
S. minor "okefenokee giant"
S. purpurea var purpurea
VFT- Big mouth, long red fingers, fang, akai ryu, big vigorous, crossed tooth, low giant, red purple, red piranha, dentate, royal red
U. bifida (that's the "flower" u saw at the background, which is the fruit pod)
U. minitusimma

I let my utrics grow in whatever pot they decide to grow on, and my burmaniis too coz they spread very readily.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

How it began.... I was at the zoo and i happen to see a pot of VFT, bought it and kept it... didn't really survive... so i manage to kill a few pots along the way and discover "The Way" haha... then capensis came along, died... adelae came along, multiply very fast... until when El Nino strike, i forgot to water... died of drought...
smile_t_32.gif

Soon my collection increased tremendously when i was 16... i tried from Byblis down to Sarrecenias,,, and i learnt that few can take singapore's heat... and i learnt how to make them adapt to local climate. My first purpurea flowered like crazy! ;):

Went to macritchie to look for nepenthes... lady luck was at my side... saw a few Utrics as well, collected seeds and grew it at home... I manage to brainwash my friends pick this up as a hobby... so i roped in 2 other friends and they started this hobby as well...
smile_l_32.gif

Then till now, my big vigorous which arrived from a 4mm trap, now a 1.5inch monster... many plants died due to ignorance actually coz of El Nino and exams then!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

So now, i know what to grow roughly in Sg and what not to grow roughly... VFTs in FEF are supposed to be very very nice... but too bad, they didn't sun them. I'm not utterly impressed with FEF at all.. coz i told them what the plant needed and they said no... the plants are from holland and they can't take sun... So, i just told myself, fine then, it's your lost anyway, the plants die, u loss your profit anyway.
mad.gif

But i am not particularly expert in Pings... they never seem to survive in my hands... coz of the sun, it's like a real desert here unless it rains... it's pretty windy on occasional days... but they seem to like it... I'm now experimenting on the water leaf cutting technique... i'm doing it on my D. adelae, both D. binata varieties... hopefully they root...
smile_n_32.gif
:

Hi,
Sorry to ask even more questions...are all those plants in direct sun also? For me, I grow mostly neps, but only 1 VFT and 1 sarracenia and 2 types of sundew which Jason was so kind to give me (seed) VFT and Sarracenia are in full sun and are quite O.K (but strangely not very colourful) , do all sundews like full sun too? or atleast intermedia and spatulata?

1 more question...Sarracenia flower just after dormancy, before traps are produced right? so I assumed you managed to successfully put your plants through dormancy?

Thanks

Lam_wn: Yes, all those plants recieve full day of sun, from the first touch of light to the last bit in the evening. Remember most of them are temperate plants, and daylight hourse are of at least more than 14 hours during summer, thus, spurring their growing season. In my own theory, i feel that the more direct sun it's exposed to the more healthy and colourful the plant would be.

I wouldn't say all sundew loves full sun, but intermedia should love it. As for spathatula, i haven't had growing experience with it, thus shall not dare to comment as yet, but u cantry exposing to partial sun first before deciding if the plant gets healthier.

Well, so far my purpurea mane to bloom. Nope, i didn't put thrpugh dormancy for them. They just did... in fact every 6 to 8 months they shoot up flowers. I wouldn't say it's not necessary to to give them dormancy, but for my case, i didn't bother... haha... but they seem ok with it.
smile.gif

Wonderful discussion. Clayton, are your friends on this forum too? We ought to rope them in! I've been trying to get more people into the hobby but my social circle is made up of young children and more children.  
smile_m_32.gif
 They don't have the skills to keep the plants alive even if daddy and mummy pull out the cash. lol

So I ended up giving away plants to encourage young green fingers. I've got a couple of students who managed to grow them very well 'cos they live in a house. I live in a HDB flat so I have to keep my plants compact.

Ehh, sorry...the teacher in me...you know of the conservation laws for the nature reserves?  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Yup, I noticed that with direct sunlight, VFTs and sarracenias do grow pretty well in Singapore. Take a look at Steven's VFT Website. My husband was tempted to buy a pot of VFT from FEF last week becos' our plants are doing well at our balcony. but he decided against it. Maybe the next time anyone is ordering from Triffid again, let me hitchhike a order. My favourite CP is actually saracenia!

Pings were fine for me at my parents' place, east window with only 2 hours of morning sun. I think it's too warm for them here where the binata's are growing well. I'm trying to grow them at my service balcony instead.  
smile_n_32.gif
 If I have it my way I'll have plants in every room as sun shade instead of blinds! LOL

Let us know how your D.binata and D.adelae cuttings work. I've tried it with D.binata and they turned black.

hey Cindy,

In fact i visited your website and was impressed by your room full of Neps and other CPs... very cosy feel... and i like it... haha...

Actually if u feel for the plant in FEF, you should buy the plant... years back before FEF caught fire, when they had dying adelaes... i bought them for the sake of saving them from dying... haha... that was how crazy i was then... but too bad, they have not many varieties of droseras now...

and i feel their price of VFTs are overpriced! daylight robbery! I've visited Steven's website too... nice plants! love the VFTs he has... anyway i shall attach one of my best VFTs now growing currently...

here it is...

VFTRoyalRed.jpg

this was taken 3 weeks back... now it has another 3 more traps and the olders one became redder

will post others up soon again
Hope it inspires u  
smile_m_32.gif

it does... (inspire me)
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I dont know why my VFT wont colour up, bought it from FEF, where it had red traps green leaves, now it is green all over with pink, (I mean really light pink) insides.
It grows under direct sun too, just only from 9am-4pm, reason being the buildings nearby block out quite some light. But I am guessing its also because I dont use rain water all the time, sometimes I use aged tap water (meant for my fishies!)
wonderful pics,
Thanks

Back