What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with albino cory eggs

Hi all,

I only have one pair of albino corys and the female spawned today. I didn't even know the young one was a male....anyway, this is the first spawn I've had so I need some serious advice on my nice surprise!

I read up a bit about cory breeding on some other websites just now. I'm not sure if any of the eggs are fertilised, as they are all the same creamy color so it's all good or all bad. They were not stuck on glass as described by others - all were on stuck to rocks on the bottom of the tank. I gently put them in a container I use to separate misbehaving fish because my tank has other fish and they were trying to eat the eggs.

The slats in the container allow for good air circulation, and are too small for the eggs to go through. My question is, will the fry be much skinnier than the eggs, and therefore fall through the cracks?  har har.  I'm also concerned that there might be too much circulation after they're hatched. The container is floating on top of the tank, and I have one regular filter and one airstone. At the moment the movement isn't enough to roll the non-sticky eggs around.

Another thing to worry about - I'm leaving in 12 days for a trip. Someone will feeding the fish, but I can't expect her to take too much special care of the fish other than feeding as instructed, so I need to make things as easy as possible by then. The corys are chasing each other around again...
smile_l_32.gif

Advice? Thanks in advance.
Here's a blurry pic. Clumps of eggs were stuck to some of the dark gravel, so I put the gravel in the container as well.
coryeggs.jpg

I have no (good) experience with Corydoras but the fry will almost certainly fall through the slats. For your trip you may want to try to keep the container of eggs cool and put java moss or other aquatic plants in their. This would hopefully delay hatching of the eggs and if the fry did hatch they would have something to feed off of before you get back.

From what I hear...cory fry love microworms.

If you lose the first batch...no worries. Chances are the cories will continue spawning for you as I heard from a few who kept them the question soon becomes how to get them to stop.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try and rustle up some java moss and maybe a breeder net if the moss doesn't cover the slats well. Maybe some frozen or dried microworms or brine shrimp - I'm not to excited to think of the stuff squirming in my fridge or counter while I'm away
smile_n_32.gif

Hi,

Cory eggs hatch pretty fast and are often creamy colored. I bet yours hatch unless they are eaten. Have your caretaker grind a little flake food into a powder for the cory fry.

Bobby

Thanks for all of the advice! I was sick yesterday, but dragged myself to the store and bought a breeding net and a nice brushy plant (couldn't find java moss). Placed the eggs in the breeding net. This morning, they looked like they had a lot of fuzz on the outside. I hope it's not egg fungus - because if it is, articles mention it's too late to do anything. The eggs themselves seem to be the same peachy albino color, so I hope all is well and that they'll hatch anyway.
confused.gif

If they are fuzzy they have indeed fungused and will not hatch...sorry.
smile_h_32.gif

But their is the next batch.

Oddly enough, most of the eggs have disappeared! I did see some fish poking at the breeding net, trying to chomp on fungus. But still...it's very strange. I do see some minature egg-looking things at the bottom of the net, as if the eggs have pulled a shrinky-dink maneuver. Anyway, there is ONE egg left, and doesn't seem to have fungus. Maybe I'll have an only child. Maybe not. Either way, there's always the next batch to look forward to!

Back