What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphyosemion splendopleure

Bubbler up and running. The fish seem a little nervous about it but hopefully will get used to it. I may use one with less power if it seems to be too much. Currently it is not encased in or driving anything(i.e...not corner of sponge around it).

~Joseph

Hi N,

It can be going very slowly just enough to gently break the surface. You should be able to count the bubbles even. Add one on the nigripinnis since people think it might be an O2 problem. I believe people keep killies too cramped and without enough air. I learned that fry need a few bubbles starting the second week or so.

Bobby

Hi Bobby

Despite increased aeration the males gill cover remains in the same position. He seems fine otherwise so I wonder what is up.

On the nigripinnis, that is a possibility. I'm wondering if too large of waterchanges could do it, as I noticed in one container the fish would "pace" around the glass for some time after the routine water change.

Do you remember how these guys sex out? I see what appear to be females(shorte fin bases and spotted, plus chunkier), and males(long fin basses and lightly banded, usually slender).

Also, these nigripinnis can take the cold we get here over the winter. I popped the guy with the "goiter" into the big greenwater jar out on the patio. Today I was fishing around to see if I could catch any gammarus and it turns out he was still in there...plus a bit bigger! The temperature of the air that day was 50 degrees and it is likely he got temps of around 40 for some time. I just tossed him in there. These guys are pretty sturdy in some ways apparently
smile.gif

Also, I popped 2 kafuensis peats which I figured were close enough in date into the water today. This time doing it the more traditional way with shallow water(50% distilled) and a thin layer of peat. A few free swimming fry and hopping ones right now.

Hoping you had a good holiday season and best wishes for 2006!
~Joseph

Hi N,

Looks like a nice setup!!!
smile.gif
Glad you finally got some pics posted! Sorry I have been AFK, lots going on..

Hope all is well,

Dustin

btw post those at the gallery at goodeids.com - I am sure others would like to see it ;)

Dustin

Hi N,

How are the kafuensis fry doing? Did the bellysliding nigripinnis settle down and sex out? Dustin, any calabarica fry yet? How are all the livebearers producing?

Bobby

Unfortunately the little KAF fry dissapeared after a few days. Their were maybe 5 or so to start. Crossing my fingers on the rewet. THe good thing is that this method seemed to have resulted in fewer bellysliders. I will try using old water(as in, not recent from the tap) next time based on posts from killitalk.

The nigripinnis(only 3 or so which are bellysliders) are sexing out. Mostly males but a few confirmed females and some runts which are likely females. None of the males have colored up yet however. These seem to be more sturdy fish than the kafuensis at least hardiness wise. The fry are larger so that must have something to do with it. A rewet produced 6 or so fry. I put three inside of a greenwater/daphnia container for an experiment. They seem to be doing well in there.

Hi N,

Sorry to hear of the Notho loss. I'd definately use old water -- preferably soft and slightly acid -- mixed with one forth new water but aged a couple of days. Use your peat tea or a little freshly boiled peat too to aid in the belly slider issue. I'd add a half to a whole cup of green water and a big handful of java moss to the long low hatching container upon wetting. Add the green water daily until you see red bellies on the fry from eating the live baby brine shrimp. Make sure its not too cold. 60's are bad for Nothos. Keep it at 74-75F. You might need to mount the hatching container in a larger tank that just has water and a submerged heater if your room temp is too low. (That might have killed them.) If you think it was velvet add a tsp of non-iodized salt per gallon to the hatch water and dissolve before putting the peat in the water for hatching. If you can get a rotifer or paramecium culture going feed those too. Paramecium look like slow moving clouds in the water. Just take a container full of hard water and add some baby food sweet potatoes to it (1/2 a teaspoon) or some dried lettuce or even better some hay and wait. In no time you will see the water clear and these clouds of tiny animals appear in mass. Don't use aeration. Feed these too but the water should be clear, the clouds easily seen and the smell nil.

Glad to hear the nigripinnis are working out.

I should be moving by March. Everything seems to be coming together. All those new fish experiences to come!

Bobby

Not so fast on giving up apparently! Despite a thorough search one fry popped up today...offered BBS and he/she seems to have eaten. How long can they go without food anyway? I wonder if perhaps the rest starved or didn't find enough BBS to eat(it could also have been the stress of being pipetted to the new container but the nigripinnis took that in a stride and they seemed fine as they exited the pipette).

A count yielded maybe 8 female Aphyosemion splendopleure. I removed one which had torn fins to a seperate container for recoup. I've seen lots of chasing around particularly during feeding time but never anything which appeared serious enough to result in more than a nipped fin or two. Perhaps it is a signal that it is about time to distribute a few of these.

Hope that move goes well for you.

Best Wishes
~Joseph

Back