What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to fresh water aquariums

• Thread starter fc3srx713b
  • Start date
by any chance can anyone direct me to previous post that have pics of goldfish or koi? when i find out a way to take pics of the ones i got then for sure ill post them up. thanks!

I often make use of the Search tab, found at the top of the screen. Ijust did this and found a link to a topic about Marbld Koi, but didn't think that was what you were looking for. Anyways, try entering the word 'Koi' or 'goldfish' and then highlight the Freshwater Forum and then choose last month or older. Maybe you will recognize the topic.

What questions about the fish did you have?

nothing really but i wanna take a pic of this nice goldfish that i think has very nice charaterisitcs. man i have to post a pic

Is it a koi that you have? Or maybe an Oranda or Ryukin or Shubunkin?

i have a Shubunkin, 3 kois but all diff in a way(scales color ect), and some goldfish..

here! finally i got a pic!
smile.gif

so what do you think this is.  i got it as a goldfish but could it be a Shubunkin?  this is probably the nicest one i got of my collection! i got it for $1.00 :p
849Goldfish_005_1_.jpg

849Goldfish_004_1_.jpg

849Goldfish_001_1_.jpg

Wow, he sure is unusual. I am no expert but I don't think goldfish can show those kind of scales(at least I've never seen it). Maybe goldfish x koi hybrid?

Whatever it is it is a nice one.

Here is one from my pond. Convinces me that genes are maybe half of what makes a fish beautiful...as this is the descendant of some Walmart feeders.

DSCN2450.jpg

yeah you know something, feeders are sometimes one of the most beautiful goldfishes if you get them that size! i really do see improvement when you take them home from the store!

maybe comet koi combo? Or koi shub., or comet shub?

but man i love how it looks! thoes scales it has look great! but the overall color of the fish, including the white long fins of a comet!

Hi Guys,

Goldfish can get those scales. They are called something like necrocious scales -- I forget the exact name. Still very nice looking. It is not a Shubunkin as those are the British calico goldfish made up of a white body with blue, orange, and black patterning over the white. They are beautiful fish.

Bobby

[b said:
Quote[/b] (biggun110 @ Nov. 01 2005,4:57)]...It is not a Shubunkin as those are the British calico goldfish made up of a white body with blue, orange, and black patterning over the white...
so not a hybrid then?

i also have a shibukin too. if you can see one of the pics there is one but its too blurry to see. i post another pic. i love that color and yes they do have a white backround and do have blue.

heres the shibu and three kois that i have...

sorry about the pic, i know its blurry but it shows some of the scales that the other pic doesnt
849Goldfish_014_1_.jpg

heres a better pic of the colors that biggun110 was talking about. i also like that it looks "leather" although it still has scales but are tiny! does anyone have one that appears to have no scales at all? there are carps that are called leather carps because the "lack" of scales.
849Goldfish_013_1_.jpg

ok the 3 kois

i got this one because it has nice black pattern on the top and most of the body color mimics the back pattern then the belly is white as well as the mouth.  nice.  this one seems to be #2 of aggressiveness of the 3 kois.
849Goldfish_012_1_.jpg

then the other side...
849Goldfish_011_1_.jpg

this is probably my #1 koi favorite!  i love this koi.  this is the closest that i came to as i described above,  the leater carp look.  i love that it has large scales on some parts of the body, the top mostly that runs from the head to the tail.  then the rest has a leather look or "no scales" at all.  this one is #3 agressiveness of the 3 kois.
849Goldfish_010_1_.jpg

a closer look...
849Goldfish_009_1_.jpg

then the line of scales that runs from the head to the tail...
849Goldfish_008_1_.jpg

then here is the #1 of the agressiveness. what i mean by that is that this koi out of all the three will the first to get food and will try to hog it to itself, and when it gets "mad" it will chase the other around and usually get the most. this happens alot when all the fish move from the top of the tank when fed then move to the bottom to scavenge for more. but out of all the fish that i got, the kois are the agressors. i know that goldfish compete for food but kois are more better at it for some reason.

i like that orange spot on its back. it only goes more on oneside...
849Goldfish_007_1_.jpg

here is what i mean about the spot...
849Goldfish_006_1_.jpg

Little tip if your having trouble telling koi and goldfish appart. Koi has whiskers and goldfish don't. Also how big is your pond/tank? Just a little warning, koi are huge fish. I have been to vendors and seen some 3-4 feet long fish before.

i should be getting a bigger tank anytime soon. i have a 50gl tank but the goldfish and kois are still small. i know both kois and goldfish get really big but its the kois that get the biggest and an interesting fact is on record there was a koi that lived through 2 generations of owners, so lets say a kid got a koi when small grew up with him then passed it on to his son then lived with it till i dont know when but for sure a good 150-220 years old the koi was...

Back