What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Austrolebias nigripinnis 'villa soriano'

• Thread starter Nflytrap
  • Start date
DSCN3027.jpg

Hatched Doug Ebelings bag of peat and got at least 30 healthy fry(hard to count em!). A number of bellysliders resulted too(15-20) but it is still quite a lot of fry. They are feeding on BBS and I gave them a small squirt of greenwater. Still many clear eggs so the peat is going back in for storage for a few more weeks.

Hi N,

Great news. Good luck with all those fry. A tank of adult nigripinnis will be quite a sight. I bet they love your cool conditions and it will lead to better growth and color.

I've sent off a lot of the zonatus -- almost 50/50 sex ratio. I sent off the monty hybrids, some of my nezzies and some of the red picta today. I still have 4 boxes to go and then all the tanks get sold. Someone will be coming this week to look at things -- an angel breeder. By friends in NY are already trying to set me up and I'm not even there.

Bobby

Hey Bobby,

Good luck with the move! Hopefully the tanks get sold and you are free before long. Also hope it doesn't take too long for you to get set back up once you arrive.

The nigripinnis appear to be doing well. They are on the desk in my bedroom right now so I can watch them alot. Water temp is around 60-65 degrees. Would adding in salt the way reccomended for Nothos do any harm? I've noticed a few fry are lighter in color. What could be the cause? I'm guessing that since they are at cooler temps they will not grow nearly as fast as Nothos?

Also, what kind of sex ratios do these guys produce? I've heard that keeping smaller numbers of fry results in a more even sex ratio but I would not mind it at all if I got more females than males.

~Joseph

Hi N,

So is 60-65F just your normal household temperature? You know in the old days it was recommended that tropicals be kept between 65-70F over the winter. Now this would be deadly for many species (discus, zonatus, some Simpsonichthys, etc) but many would be just fine.

Your water is on the hard side right? If it is hard and alkaline I wouldn't worry about salt at all. SAA's are not that prone to velvet and I rarely even used salt on Nothos. Clean conditions and little debris on the bottom helps to keep velvet away.

People say that crowded fry tanks can skew sex ratios (Hormones?) and it can also cause deformities that look like genetic defects. The more space the better fish you raise. I am a big fan of as much space as possible.

The females are lighter when adults but I do not recall lighter fry. Maybe it's this location or maybe its just the conditions. If they are eating and not breathing heavily all should be well. Velvet looks like a fine dusting of slightly gold colored tiny tiny tiny dots on the fish usually first found around the head and gill area.

Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Yes at this time of year this would be the temperature of tanks without a heater. Sorta restrictive but if their are killies that like temps between 60-75(estimated summer high temperature in unheated tanks) then they would work without a heater here. I bet coolwater Aphyosemion would like the conditions except it might get a bit warm in the summer.

I think the water here is now on te soft side due to a change in water source(surface water). That being said I should really get down to getting a testkit! Got store credit on me thats for sure.

At this age should they have a filter(corner filter) of any sort in the container? I remember you mentioned filterless tanks are not good for SAA's.

Their are about 4 or so of these lighter colored fry. We'll see what happens.

Currently the fry are seperated between 2 salad boxes(similar size to the small sweater boxes). When should I look to upgrading them?

Best Wishes
~Joseph

I wish I had your luck. Out of three bags of Kongwa R. Sp. I have only got 4 fry to hatch, and am still stuck at 1 male.
smile_h_32.gif
Peat Spawners are not my thing right now... Or maybe Im not their thing.

Dustin

DSCN4035.jpg

Bobby and Dustin.

Any idea whats went wrong with this guy? Has a bump on the throat. I removed 2 with bent spines and also a smaller one with a more extreme version of this problem(it had trouble swallowing the BBS quickly). Some on www.killies.com think these may have to do with diet. Hopefully you can offer some insight. Dietwise they've been fed almost solely BBS and when they got big enough juvenile BS up till this point.

Hi N,

I don't know. It might be environmental or it might be genetic. I'd destroy the weak fry and focus on the strong ones. With large batchs of fry you often get a few mystery cases. As long as the majority is good I would not worry.

Bobby

Hello Bobby,

Good to hear. How often does stuff like this happen? Hopefully the rest of the fry develop without problems.

Also, looking at the photo of this one, would you say this is a male? It was one of the bigger ones. I'm basing male off the width of the dorsal and anal fins(most photos of females show short dorsal and anal fin insertions compared to the males).

Hi N,

It doesn't happen to often. Having seen this location of nigripinnis I would say it's a bit weaker looking than other forms I've seen so that might be a reason. But that is just an impression. I think it's still too small to sex easily. I'd lean toward male but that's more a hunch than an observation.

Bobby

Not to sure on how strong the strain is(nigripinnis are considered hardy right?) but they seem eager to show me all the weird things that can go on.

Now I've go a pair of what they call "late developing belly sliders".
confused.gif

Back