What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cory ID's Please

• Thread starter Gawd_oOo
  • Start date
Ok, first off I'd like to say, I didn't choose the gravel color for the tank. Nor did I buy any of the fish besides the 3 corys in the second picture +2 more of the same not in the picture.

Unfortunatly the friend I bought the tank from did a poor job of picking fish, but I am sure his kids had alot to do with that. 3 of this kind, 4 of that kind, So I am at capacity with schools of fish that need more of their species to behave. I can't bring myself to kill any of them. Only did that once when I was a kid, and really I just took a school of tiger barbs that were tormenting my angel fish, and let them see how it felt by moving them to the oscar tank.

Any how, explaining the gravel sent me off topic for a bit there, I'm back now.
I have figure the genus species of most of the fish, but haven't been able to determine that of the cats.

well, I think the group of three are Corydoras sipaliwini

My votes are:

Top pic - Dunno... thought it was spectabilis but the black spot's in the wrong place... agassizii maybe?
Left bottom pic - aeneus
Right bottom pic - trilineatus

How about C. leucomelas on the first? The black patches seem to be located closer to that then the C. agassizii. Tho, mine seems to have many more of the smaller spots. Are there hybrids?

And I agree with both in the second pic. Knew I didn't trust what the pet shop said. On the ones I bought.

Hi,

I'd say trilineatus but not sure on aeneus, the head looks wrong -- too long. Check Ian Fuller's cory sites and the cory society he heads based in England. He has two spectacular cory books. Search his name with coryadoras and see what all you get.

Bobby

top photo I'd say is punctatus or melanistius

Bobby

The top pic may be melanistus, by my memory of the black spot on the dorsal, but the spotted pattern is more like that of an agasizzi. The next pic looks like a typical aeneus. I don't see a third pic.

3rd is the group to the right in the second pic

*scrolls right* That one is a new one on me!

If the bottom left one isn't aeneus, it might be an emerald green cory. It looks bigger than the others (emerald greens are big). Species is Brochis splendens.

Looking at pictures of both on corycats.com and comparing to my pic and wht it looks like in the tank. I would say that it is C. aeneus, the length in the head, in the picture, seems to be just because it was eating at the time, it normally doesn't look that elonggated. And it is the same size as the one in picture 1, that we have no concensus on. I'll try and get more pictures of that one, it only seems to come out of hiding for the first feeding of the day. Other then that it hades in a corner were I can't get pictures of it.

Oh and I am going to thumbnail that picture so it isn't stretching the page.

Its not Brochis splendens...the dorsal doesn't match.

Ok, this one finally posed nice by the glass for me.
And it is probably 25% bigger (mostly in height) then the C. aeneus.

50072mw.jpg

Another angle.

50040bz.jpg

Back