What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goldfish diagnostics anyone?

ok, i've got a nice new 5-gallon tank set up at school now, recently stocked with a young (1-inch) oranda goldfish. three days after i got him, he developed a tiny blackish spot on the tip of his dorsal fin. that hasn't gotten any bigger, but now he's got similar dark streaks at the ends of his tail fins, running right along the ridges. what on earth is this? the marks appear to be grayish-black, smooth, and small, and like i said, run right alongside the ridges on the tail. i've been doing regular water changes (10% or less about every other day, it was kinda cloudy) so i don't think it would be a high ammonia level... bacterial? fungal? whatever it is they're growing fast now. the fish doesn't seem affected but i'd really like to get rid of whatever it is!!!

thanx!

Was the filter properly cycled before the fish was added?
if not, that could be the cause of all kinds of problems..

5 gallons is really too small for a goldfish.
you should really upgrade to a 20 gallon minimum (for one goldfish) or just dont keep goldfish at all..

what kind of filter is on the tank?

the color changes might be normal!
does it seem like the actual color of the fish's skin itself is changing? or do the spots seem to be *on* the outside of the skin?
can you take a picture? that would help..

goldfish can change color..I had an all-black goldfish turn solid orange once when it was about 3 years old..the process took a few months.

Scot

MF: I've been giving it some thought and I really don't have a definitive diagnosis or solution.
smile_h_32.gif
So why am I replying? To echo Scot, is there a way you can show us a picture? I pretty much ruled out bacterial because that would be a rapidly developing wasting away of fish flesh and it the fish would likely be gone by now, without meds. I doubt fungal or parasitic. As Scot suggested, fish do have the capacity to alter their color, depending upon how stressed they are. I'm inclined to think that the ammonia level is higher than you may realize. Any chance you can purchase test kit? Regular water changes are temporary fixes for getting through the Nitrogen Cycle. I'm guessing you've read the incredibly long essay I wrote, about "new tank syndrome", from a couple months ago. Goldfish naturally change color, reverting back to the orange color in some instances, but color also changes due to stress. Let us know what has happened since your post.

Back