What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop Growing!

About five years ago someone graciously sent me a lump of Java moss. Maybe a small handfull, if that.
For a while I let it grow unchecked in my betta rearing tank. Then in several tanks. Then I started pawning it off on anyone that would take it. I thought, at one time, it was -gone-... no... no it wasn't.

Now, about a year later I have a five gallon betta tank being taken over by the stuff. It's growing on the driftwood, it's growing on -other plants-... I think it may also be growing on the betta.

I point at it, I shout for it to stop growing. I make disparaging remarks about it's mother, and it's relationships with livestock. It keeps growing. I've considered pulling out a clump and roughing it up a little as a lesson to the others.

Maybe I can find a way to trade it off for CP's some day.

Why not?! Another forum member offered Aloe Vera. Maybe try a little Tom Sawyer / Huck Finn or Starsky & Hutch psychology on the moss. It may not help, but it vouldn't hoyt!
smile_m_32.gif

Guppies, Java moss, hornwort, anacharis, A. Crispus, C. Wendii, Pickeral rush, Egyptian Papyrus, Horsetail, "swamp grass", cattails, air layered bonsai starts (willow), handmade ceramics, paintings... I have a lot of stuff to trade... just not CPs. ;)

can you believe when I kept planted tanks I could never keep java moss alive? I think it had to do with our PH being way to high in San Antonio... always dissolved on me.

killing it is easy enough if you never want it to come back. relocate your fish temporarily to a hospital tank, and dose the tank with algae destroyer.

Just to let you know is that lots of people are on the market for this stuff. I can understand why...it is great! Anyway, a baseball sized clump usually fetches around $4-$6...If not, better to send it to someone rather than let it go to waste.

This is also of interest to some people keeping terrariums as it can grow in wet areas like the waterfall section. In commercial sources this moss can be quite pricey.

Well, if anyone is ever looking send them my way... I have more than enough. It was given to me, and so generally I trade it off to others, or for credit at the fish stores... but I really have no need for more credit there anymore.

I had to laugh when I saw this thread
biggrin.gif
I just cleaned a tankful (literally) out of my freaswater tank a couple days ago. It got to the point that you couldn't see anything in there. I have another extra tank that just sits there with no filtration or nuthin that I throw all the java moss in. It's almost as thick as spagnum and you can barely stick your hand in there.

my moss does the same, i usally just get store credit myself cause these fish like frozen blood worms or tubifex, and when i do not need food for the fish i got other pets i could use the credit on. but would rather get some into aquarists hands. just i do not know anyone anymore that has fish around here.

I got my hands on what I think is either taiwan moss or peacock moss (there're a lot of wrongly named mosses out there... people didn't even have the species name of java moss correct for a while). I can't ever go back to java moss now... it's like going back to whoppers after having steak. It's gorgeous stuff.

So I'm not sure how trade-worthy java moss is... it's the aquatic moss equivalent of a ventrata. But it's all pet stores even know about so they're probably a good bet.

http://aquamoss.net/ (check what they have to say about java moss)

If it's not too late, if anyone still has some Java Moss to give away, I would gladly paypal you a few bucks, etc, to cover for shipping and handling...

I have about 1 dozen beautiful betta fish adopted from fish stores that I would like to spoil

smile.gif

I trust that they were male bettas and they are being kept in separate quarters?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Back