What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algee problems

• Thread starter JMurphy97
  • Start date
I get what Nepenthes ak is asking.

Its hard to get plants into the gravel so close without them coming out. Usually just after you plant them they might look a bit sparse but they soon grow and fill in the gaps. People say not to stick bunch plant stems next to each other but when I kept Elodea I did that all the time and nothing bad happened except the Elodea was a pain to keep trimmed.

I myself use sand in my planted tanks but am not expert really. My tanks tend to turn into a bunch of random plants most of them being smothered by java moss(its funny as if you have java moss above where a val runner takes root that val will have some pretty funky leaves).

Java moss is a great plant if you do not mind it being a bit messy at times...I keep it in all my tanks and small containers.

Here's one tank
DSCN4075.jpg

Here's an old picture of my 46 gallon bowfront(mean't to be display tank, now a hodgepodge of plants).
DSCN5492.jpg

Looks kind of bland...
DSCN5667.jpg

tank.jpg

Then...
mytnk.jpg

Oh dear...I actually liked this layout and the water lettuce but decided to see if I could make it neater. Actually would love to try this again.

mytank.jpg

Finally this was the tank looking its traditional planted tank best. I eventually decided it was too much work just for looks...the fish don't seem to care too much!

Growing in a tank does not take long as you can see...the first several photos were taken within a few months of the tanks decision to become planted.

Wow i woud love to do that with my tank i just need to get Lighting down. Im sure once that happnes ill figure out a way to battle the algae... Doesnt CO2 help with that?

Cheers

yes.

think of planted tanks like this...

you have Phosphate, nitrate, CO2, macro and micro nutrients...

lets say, A, B, C, D, and E.

if all of those are in the tank in the proper amounts and you have good light, your plants will out-strip your algae.

if all those are present in the tank in improper amounts, your gonna have an algae problem.

cool.gif
now to work on ALL this fun stuff, school, Cp's, music, then my aqariums!

Thanks for all that info, i need to get a water tester i never did...

Cheers

Back