What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMO fish

• Thread starter JBL
  • Start date

JBL

Any opinions on this? I bought a pair of danios that have jellyfish genes in them (GMO or gentically modified organisms). I saw a site (UK based I think) stating that they have no place in the ornamental fish industry. These things are BRIGHT red! I'm sure you could google a pic or two. So, what do you think? I think I'm a dope for what I paid for them!
confused.gif

Hi, there's not only bright red but neon green and yellow too. It's a mixed sentiment amongst hobbyists too that it's not right to have such genetic modified fish and how infertile they will be.

There was an article in the papers sometime back to prove that these GM fish were indeed fertile; so guess that makes it acceptable now? Not too sure. One thing I know is that this fad didn't catch on as the price was a little steep for a danio.
Even now when the price has come down to a mere USD 1.60, there's not much of a demand.

Pauline

A $1.60 US huh? Our local pet shop robbed me big time at 8 bucks each. Thanks for the commentary. I did a little further reading and found that the green color is from jellyfish protein while the red also includes a type of coral protein as well. At least they are fun to watch. The pair chase each other and add a nice personality to the tank.

Thanks for finding it Jim. I did a search but must have used the wrong keywords. I knew you guys wouldn't let this go two years without comment!
smile.gif

Back