What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help!!!!

I have a small betta tank with some kind of plant in the top of it that isnt supposed to touch the bottom of the tank all but two of the leaves have died and the others arent looking too good what can i do to help the plants grow better?

Do you have any more information about the plant, water, lighting? Without any of the information it's hard to help you

i would love to send you a picture but my camera broke
confused.gif
do you have a place i can identify it at ie pictures

you can try www.plantgeek.net. They have a plant guide there. There's also aquaticplantcentral.com, I would give you the direct site for that, but I can't you must be 18+ to join...

i think its echinodorus bleheri

Does it look like this?

varenr071.jpg

a sword plant? That will get much too big for your tank. They need about 2wpg flourescent. They root and are heavy root feeders. You can supplement the substrate if needed. If it is the picture jimscott posted it needs to be planted in the substrate. It doesn't float.

it kind of looks like that but with slimmer longer leaves and no vines also it isnt floating it is going through a plastic plate at the top with gravel sitting in the plate.  you arent supposed to give it much light, and it says the leaves should be above water. the root mass is entirely under water

I Googled the scientific name and came up with that pic.

I think it's some other plant though

Hi,

Your plant sounds a lot like a Peace lily (Spathiphyllum sp.). These plants are commonly used in the setup that you described; the plant's leaves grow out of the top of the container and the roots in the water. They are terrestrial plants that tolerate growing in very wet soil and in plain water; but for how long, I'm not sure. You should be able to Google care info for the plant. I grow one in a pot, so the care may be different in your case. Hope this helps.

Jeff

sounds like you probabkly have two different problems.
not enought light for the plant, whatever it is.
and a betta in FAR too small of a bowl.

contrary to propaganda to the contrary, bettas do NOT do well in teeny bowls..the only people who say that is ok are the people trying to sell them.

If it is actually a peace lilly, you should take it out of the tank, plant it in a pot of potting soil, and put it in a window.

then you should buy a 10-gallon aquarium, with heater and filter, for the betta...but if you only get a 10 gallon tank, (and not larger) you cant put anything else in the tank besides that one, single betta, because its too small for anything else.
a ten-gallon tank is perfect for one betta.

http://joshday.com/bettafaq.htm

http://www.firsttankguide.net/betta.php

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_care.htm

Scot

Back