What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm going to start a FW aquarium!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Fishkeeping is my second hobby, equal in my heart to CP's (if you can believe that!)

I got an eclipse hood, almost brand new at the pawn shop for TWO DOLLARS! i've got everything else in the basement, but I'm going to buy a new 10 gallon aquarium from wal-mart.

What do you guys suggest i stock it with! this is the hardest part! MY favorite FW fish is Pantodon Bucholzii (sp?). Do you guys think a ten gallon is large enough to keep one of these and maybe a few Corydoras? I know this may be stretching (or even bursting!) the limits, but I don't mind changing water frequently (you know my first FW aquarium was a 30 gallon Hex and over 2 years I never changed the water once!)

Now to the plants, Do I really NEED a co2 setup to keep Java Moss and Java Fern?

I wouldn't recommend keeping an African Butterfly fish in a 10 gallon aquarium long term. They get about 4-5 inches in length and only utilize the top area of the tank. They will also eat any fish that gets close enough and that will fit inside it's mouth.

CO2 injection is not needed for Java Moss and Java Fern. I would recommend getting some compact fluorescent bulbs though. I'm not sure what kind of bulbs an Eclipse hood takes, but if they are the normal screw-in incandescent bulbs, then you can replace them with these: http://www.petsmart.com/global....20&Ne=2

That will give you a total of 20 watts which equals 2 watts per gallon. That's more than enough to grow Java Moss and Fern. I'd recommend getting the bulbs at Walmart, they are a few dollars cheaper there. I use them in all of my 10 gallon aquariums and can grow a number of different plants.

I hope this helps,
Crystal

WELCOME!

No? Oh well no biggie. My 75 gallon reef tank is home to my cp's and I can't use that hehe. Eclipse takes NO fluorescents.

What species, and how many, do you reccomend?

What plants do you grow and do you inject? I've never grown freshwater plants before. I want to steer clear of injecting if i can help it. I can grow coral like a maniac but freshwater plants are so intimidating!

i have a couple tanks and i would say that if you are going with 10 gal. don't do aggressive fish. in a small tank you need community fish.

hehe, I've never had a small aquarium so I don't know these rules.

I'm not going to let my obsession get ahold of me this time! No starting at 10 then a 20 then 55 then 75.....

oh really? so i can grow anubias and those little banana plant things i love?

I thought you HAD to have those co2 levels. so the animal co2 levels is enough? sweet.

Never had luck with banana plants.

Plants that grew very well for me:
Ceratophyllum demersum, Cryptocoryne crispatula, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus rubin, Pistia stratiotes, Rotala rotundifolia, Sagittaria subulata, Salvinia molesta, and Vesicularia dubyana.

Check out my fish and plant info at:
http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/community.html

it never goes that way, mine all started off small now i have a 75, a 29, and a pond. now that i have decided to have fish that are huge i need at least a 100. it's very addicting! good luck staying small!
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]No? Oh well no biggie. My 75 gallon reef tank is home to my cp's and I can't use that hehe. Eclipse takes NO fluorescents.
The bulbs that I linked will work with most standard hoods (the none fluorescent setups). You will most likely need something other than what has come with your hood. Plants like java moss and fern can grow without them but not well. I had extremely poor lighting in my 55 gallon awhile back; my java ferns ended up disintegrating.

I'm currently growing Najas grass, java moss, Vals, hornwort, and some crypts with the bulbs that I linked.

No, I don't inject. I honestly believe it's more trouble than it's worth. I've done a lot of research on the subject. Risking a pH crash and losing my fish isn't worth it to me.

As far as fish goes, go with some smaller, less aggressive species. I'd say get three cory cats that you like and maybe a few tetra or other small fish to fill the top and mid layers of the tank. I'm use to having overstocked tanks, and clean them frequently enough to account for it. If you are inexperienced, I'd recommend going with less fish; if you're not totally set on fish, you could have a few African Dwarf Frogs. I currently have five. They do have special food requirements though.

ADF.jpg

African_Dwarf_Frog_in_Najas.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What species, and how many, do you reccomend?
i think the general rule is 1inch of fish = 1 gallon...right?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Sep. 09 2006,12:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What species, and how many, do you reccomend?
i think the general rule is 1inch of fish = 1 gallon...right?
Yupper... that's the old "rule of thumb". You should see what a wholesaler does, though! Typical scenario is to have 200 Red Wag Platties in a 20 gallon long.

Also good aquarium plants are Water Sprite and those cheap and overlooked "plant bulbs".

lol, don't those plant bulbs grow to be huge?

what about 3 corydoras, a couple of dwarf gourami's ? could i fit anthing else in there?

i should get a 20....

Back