What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Questions about plants

I have a list of plants and a empty 10 gallon tank. I'm thinking of some neons and a betta for sure. For the substrate I'm using eco-complete. For this list of plants would 30 watts be ok? Some of these have a light rating of 10 so let me know what you think. I will also have a co-2 canister hooked up to the tank.

Common Name: Jungle Val. Scientific Name: Vallisneria americana

Common Name: Corkscrew Val Scientific Name: Vallisneria torta

Common Name: Radican Marbled Queen Scientific Name: Echinodorus cordifolius

Common Name: Rosette Scientific Name: Echinodorus parviflorus

Common Name: Creeping Charlie Scientific Name: Cardamine lyrata

Common Name: Amazon Sword Scientific Name: Echinodorus bleheri

Common Name: Brazilian Sword Scientific Name: Spathiphyllum

Common Name: Purple Cabomba Scientific Name: Cabomba furcata

Common Name: Ozelot sword Scientific Name: Echinodorus 'ozelot'

Common Name: Filligree myrio Scientific Name: Myriophyllum simulans

Common Name: Oriental Sword Scientific Name: Echinodorus 'Oriental

Common Name: Rotala Scientific Name: Rotala indica

Common Name: Micro Sword Scientific Name: Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae

Wow lol. Gonna leave any room for fish?

That's about 22 plants. The more the better. I could put them in a 20 high but that's double the lighting and substrate and then I would need more plants. I'm just gonna have a mess of neons, some small frogs, ghost shrimp, and maybe a betta.

shrimp = betta food

If the shrimp is too big:
important shrimp parts = betta food

Wow I did not know that. I guess I have to find something else to help clean the bottom.

Corydoras. I Love Corydoras. They are corydorable!

IIRC Val's border on weeds and will attempt to take over the tank. cant comment on anything else as i rarely use them as aquarium plants. i do grow some swords as marginals though in my dart frog tanks

With those plants growing well your tank would likely turn into solid plants. Swordplants get too big to use in a 10 unless you switch them out alot(big ones can take over 50 gallon tanks).

I would use vals(if they grow for you, they can be odd at times), 2 kinds of bunch plants, some kind of creepers or foreground, and something like java ferns, Anubias, or crypts to replace the swords.

I think I might go up to use the 20 high I have laying around.

Back