What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Amano-inspired Triops tank!

• Thread starter Clint
  • Start date

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
MY 10 gallon tank is finally ready for the Triops eggs! I've got sand, some awesome rocks, and the equipment. It took 2 days for the latex to dry but it's ready! As soon as the sand clears I'll post pics.

All I need now is some plants and eggs!

That sounds great, Clint! What's Amano? lol. I just wanted to tell ya that you should hatch out the eggs in a 1-2 liter container and then move the babies into the 10 gal. a week or so after they've hatched.

Holy crud, that's amazing! Just so ya know though, Triops are from desert vernal pools with really nothing in them, they wouldn't look anything like that, lol.

-Ben

Yeah I know, but they are lucky enough I give them life!

DSC00922-1.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00923.jpg

The water should be clear within the next few days. sorry for the cloudy water.

That's awsome! where do you get your supplies?
About how long do they live?
Does anyone know where they are native to?

Wal-mart, about a month, and every continent except antarctica IIRC.

Got the rocks from lake Chatuge
smile.gif

T. longicaudatus are native to the American SW.

JLAP, those aren't volcanic rocks, are they? Otherwise, very cool setup!!!

-Ben

Thanks! Nope. I got it from a lake in north georgia. Why are volcanic rocks bad?

It reminds me of dead live rock.

Apparently, other raisers say that lava rock messes Triops up by preventing them from shedding right, and therefore killing them. They also don't like pine bark, but I don't know why anyone would put that in their tank anywho.

-ben

Do you think they would kill some ghost shrimp?

Not sure, maybe. Prolly would attack 'em. They are kinda predators, hunting other invertabrates like brine shrimp.

-Ben

Would they attack some Neon tetras and a betta? I really think those would be too big and fast to be bothered by the triops.

Do you think I have enough sandy area? Do triops crawl over rocks or do they just swim and dig? I'm really excited. I think the tank looks like a natural habitat the way it is.

Nope, people have raised Triops with fish before. They should be ok.

Triops mostly dig and crawl along the bottom. They do eat a lot though. I wanted to tell ya though, don't put the baby Triops directly into a full ten gallon from the little hatching tank, they will feel very uncomfortable. Have it maybe 1/4 full, and then slowly add more every day. But have the added water the same temp as the other water. Also, use distilled water to hatch the babies, but use spring water (no chlorine) for the adults.

-Ben

If you add fish I would not add neon tetras with a male betta. Male bettas are agressive to brightly colored fish and will kill them.

I thought male bettas were only aggressive with other male bettas. I've read and seen pics of male bettas swimming just fine with schools of fish.

-Ben

I've had a male betta with a bunch of neons and other fish. It didn't even bother gouramis. It was a boring fish
biggrin.gif

Every one I had would attact other brightly colored fish. I guess he thought they were other bettas. I have seen them in tanks with other fish, but they were not brightly colored ones. Maybe thats just my experience.

Back