What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am so stupid

• Thread starter Chefdjc91
  • Start date
I am very stupid. Wow, ok so my previous post asking about cloudy water, well, now I realize my fatal mistake. I threw away all of the good bacteria, I washed the spongy thing that comes before the carbon thing in the whisper filter. So I flushed all of the good bacteria down the sink.
So I am experiencing new tank syndrome
THIS IS NOT COOL
smile_h_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif

now I have to go through this process again
not cool
not cool not cool not cool
so so so so so so so so so so so STUPID
gah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah... don't you remember that's what I said? You'r not stupid. It was an honest mistake.

Water changes and then more water changes! Mwa!

If you're impatient then get Bio-spira (Bio-spira is the only instant cycling product that works)

Good news is, as long as you do water changed there's no reason to worry! You could get some ammonia neutralizer like Purigen for your filter if you want. That's a good idea. I wouldn't ever use carbon, anyway. It's useless after a week.

It should recover quickly..
in the other thread you said the tank is a year old, so by throwing away the filter media, you only threw out maybe half of the bacteria..lots and lots of bacteria still lives on the glass, on the plants, in the water, and especially all over the gravel..your tank still has plenty of bacteria!
it should re-colonize the new filter media within days, if not hours.

I always just squeeze out the filter media, not throw it away..
that cleans out all the actual "dirt" but leaves lots of bacteria behind.

in the rare instances where the media is so worn out that it needs to be replaced, I cut out a piece of the old filter bag and put it inside the new bag, then remove the old piece after a week or so..that gives a "jump start" for the recolonization, but its probably not even really necessary, what with all the rest of the bacteria on every square millimeter of surface area in the tank.

Scot

I have done the same thing, changing the filter media by throwing away the old one and replacing it with a new one. I never experienced a new tank syndrome doing that.
In fact, I have started new tanks using water and filter media from the old tank, and the cycle was over in less than a week
smile_m_32.gif

yea, its starting to clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am soooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back