What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nine month old 38 gallon

I finally bothered to take a recent pic of my current aquarium. I'm kicking myself because I swear I remember taking a photo halfway into its life and I can't find it anywhere. I think I didn't get around to pulling it off the camera, then one day needed some extra space and thought, "Of course this pic must be on the computer... I'd have to be stupid to just leave it on the card like this." *delete*

Early March (a few weeks after setting it up):

2006-03-28.jpg

After shifting things around over and over this year, it's looking like this today:

2006-11-14.jpg

It still doesn't look right to me, but that's all part of the planted tank sickness I guess. If I can figure out what to do with the bottom right corner I might be content.

Amazingly my lotus (center) never really took to the skies. Not that I'm complaining... I was concerned about it overshadowing everything. And as you can see in the first pic... the name "dwarf sag" can be misleading. It eventually made it all the way to the surface and needed to be removed.

The difference between the two pics is pretty amazing. I forgot you could ever see the driftwood.

Very nice. Planning to add any critters? I advocate a freshwater lobster. Not because I think they make good pets, but because I've never had one before and I want to live vicariously through your... aquarium. What's that flower looking thing in the middle of the first pic - is that the lotus you're talking about? It looks like a peace lily bloom to me.
~Joe

Current residents:
2 otos
~ 50 cherry shrimp
~ 13 amano shrimp
~ 4 vampire shrimp
~ 3 ludo crayfish

That's an anubias flower (the plant right below it). They usually grow close enough to the surface that they flower above it.

Hmmm...how are the crayfish to the plants? I'd imagine they'd be running them over, eating them, or digging them up. Thats how some clarkii crayfish I kept behaved...even in a pond you could tell as they chopped down water lily plants.

Planted tanks are very fluid...almost too fluid. I've given up fighting it and now just let plants grow where they will. Probably due to lack of bunch plants, that tank still looks surprisingly organized.

Nice tank! Nice glosso!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ Nov. 15 2006,1:24)]Hmmm...how are the crayfish to the plants? I'd imagine they'd be running them over, eating them, or digging them up. Thats how some clarkii crayfish I kept behaved...even in a pond you could tell as they chopped down water lily plants.
The little jerks ate my downoi. Other than that they haven't caused any trouble.

They're dwarf crayfish so they aren't capable of much.

Back