What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mysteries of the deep...

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
My ten gallon started to leak. Upgrade time! Bought a new 20 gallon and painted the back black.

This time I did it right. The substrate is 10 pounds of Profile, 15 of Flourite, and prolly 5 pounds of sand in there, too. Theres one gallon of sand on the top in the front. When the water clears, I'll painstakingly plant my HC strand by strand... I know i'm scared too...

DSC01114.jpg

My magnum 350 won't come untill tuesday or wednesday, so i'll have to look at the Flourite (I drained the well washing it..) and sand cloud. My 65 watt PC should come in by wednesday. then I won't have to use lights that are 4 inches too small!

DSC01113.jpg

My lone otto... his boyfriend (Yes, he's gay because I said so) killed himself when he drank hydrogen peroxide.... He couldn't live in a world that's only 10 gallons... if only he would have waited
sad.gif
I'll have to get him a couple of playmates.

DSC01110.jpg

AAAHHH!! A SWARM OF CHERRIES!!!!!

DSC01109.jpg

Here you can see the flourite and the sandbed. I REALLY hope the Proserporcupine whatever it's called lives. Mermaid weed is so much easier to say....

DSC01115.jpg

Will the cherries and otto make it? Will there be an ammonia spike? Will the water ever clear? Will Daft Punk ever play at MY house?!

find out next time on... mysteries of the deep.....

blah!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My lone otto... his boyfriend (Yes, he's gay because I said so) killed himself when he drank hydrogen peroxide....

Wow! you don't see that everyday:D

I don't understand why you're having so much problems with your aquarium. Is it because those fish and shrimp need specific environments?
rock.gif

I'm not really having problems... The tank leaked so I had to replace it and I figured I'd get a bigger one.

i had a tiny bit of BGA so I killed it using H202 and the otto got into it somehow.

Cherries are sensitive but they are really tough. I like Crystal Reds more but I can't afford $150 for ten shrimp...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I like Crystal Reds more but I can't afford $150 for ten shrimp...

Holy POOP!
oh.gif

How much did you pay for the cherries? Aquariums are much more expensive then i remember!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Farmer Dave @ Dec. 10 2006,11:58)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I like Crystal Reds more but I can't afford $150 for ten shrimp...

Holy POOP!
oh.gif

How much did you pay for the cherries? Aquariums are much more expensive then i remember!
IIRC, I think I payed 20-25 for 10 so that's about 75 dollars worth right there. I traded some plants for some, too.

That's "wholesale" since I got them from people who breed them. At a petstore, IF you can find them they would be about 3 bucks a pop.

2 or 3 of mine are carrying eggs. The females are the big fat red ones. the males are the light red smaller ones (although most of these shrimp are teenagers anyway).

this isn't really a fish tank. It's a shrimp tank. I just use otto's because they eat algae and don't bother even the tiniest baby shrimp (which are liveborn!).

I think I only feed once a week. I sterilized the rockwork so i'll have to feed algae wafers for a while but I expect the diatoms to grow enough to feed the otto (soon to be ottos)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 10 2006,11:43)]
AAAHHH!! A SWARM OF CHERRIES!!!!!

DSC01109.jpg

HIDE THE CHILDREN!

Lol, I hope this tank works out for ya.

-Ben

Well I wrapped a swiffer around the intakes of the filters (i'm using 2 hang on filters until by magnum comes..yay!) and they decreased the cloudiness by about 75%! My homotto has his color back and I don't see any dead cherries so that's good.

I still need the clean the glass and the water is a little cloudy. What's my secret? SWIFFERS!

DSC01124.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01122.jpg

just for JBL!

DSC01126.jpg

Good to see that you cleaned it up! I was afraid I'd have to move this from the Freshwater sections to the... um... Dirty water section.

crazy.gif

I think the sandbed looks like crap... I need more HC so it'll spread faster.

Come to think of it I forgot to add the fertilizers... Hope there's not algae tomorrow
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]My homotto has his color back and I don't see any dead cherries so that's good.

lol.Wow! you just keep it coming!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Yeah, homotto was a cool word for a homo otto... It's like a gay tomato except it's a fish and not a tomato

It's nice to see your pics now. They are dirty though--that's why my filter blocked them!
wink.gif.gif
. What is HC?

hemianthus callitrichoides.

http://www.tropica.dk/article.asp?type=aquaristic&id=621

Recharging my batteries.. auctually they are probably done. I did something neat with the substrate. Kinda tacky but I like it
smile.gif

I keep finding dead shrimp and it REALLY pisses me off... I've found 3 so far but i'm sure there are more.. c'est la vie. I have more coming in soon anyway.

Edit, i'll get a pic tomorrow. this one sucks

I like how HC looks though. It looks like something that would be fun to just grow in an aquarium.

No, it's a pain.

cherries are still dying... seems to be the younger ones. i think 6 or 7 so far.

For some reason they always do this when I bother them... even though I DRIP aclimate them....

Back