What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fungus Problem?

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
Hey guys,

I had a tank running with 2, guppies, 2 betas (male female), 4 ghost shrimp, potted plants, and a bunch of snails. Everything was find and happy, but then suddenly things started to die. The fish would be fine, then next day dead and covered in a white, puffy fuzz that covered the entire body. In a week I lost both betas and a ghost shrimp. Everything else was fine. I figured that I had some type of fungus due to it looking like fungus. Doing some reasearch I felt that it was called "True Fungus" and used a medicine called Maroxy.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Pro...emerch_1.aspx?cm_re=227-_-TopSellers1-_-78263

Once I did the dosage as in the instructions, the last 3 ghost shrimp died. (I think they had a problem with this medicine.)

Everything seems stable now, plants are fine, snails are still all over the place, and the guppies gave birth! But I'm still leery as to what was that white fungus that kept killing things in my tank, and I wonder what was really happening?

I'm curious if the fungus was only a cause and effect. That there might be something else there that really killed the fish and the fungus could only host on a dead fish? It was just so surprising that it was litterally overnight - total coverage on the fish.

Anyone else run into something like this? I'd like to hear what was the outcome / reaction to fix the problem before I try working with this tank again.

Thanks!
Nathan

If it were me, I would buy Tetracycline (TC) and give them a good dose. There could have been injuries or stress. Hard to say. If it were cottony growths, I would manually remove the growth, where I could, and apply TC. Some people also use Mercurochrome or Potassium Permanganate.

Lol, I did not know that you could buy that stuff without a script lol.

I thought it was used for genital fungi/bacteria lol

You can try melafix... it's all natural :)

Sweet, 2 birds with one stone.

:-))

Lmao, you're my new hero lmao omg that is so funny lol

Back