What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does R/O water cycle faster or longer?

I'm trying to set-up a small fish tank for my little niece who loves fish. She will be 2 on May8th. Her dad, my brother is kinda a punk and has better things to do then to be a dad to her. Kinda how my dad was to me. So anyway she is kinda sick and is at Children's Hospital. I'm not sure for how long and I kinda want this to be done before she gets home. So how would I get a tank cycled as fast as possible? Would R/O work with everything added into it? I'm using some gravel from an old tank but it's been out of water for a could weeks now so I'm not sure if it's gonna matter. Anything else I can do to speed it up would help.

R/O water doesn't really cycle any faster than other water since the cycling process has to do with how quickly your bacteria establishes. If there were any advantage whatsoever it would do with the absence of certain minerals in the tap water one may use, but we're talking some pretty minimal differences here.

If you want to speed up the process buy yourself some Cycle or some other biological product that adds the beneficial bacteria to the water. These bacteria don't all immediately take hold, but it definitely speeds things up.

Also, consider using a filtration system that uses some type of media seperate from the filter like a biowheel so that subsequent filtration changes don't disturb your aerobic bacteria.

edit: I just realized how old this thread is, sheesh.

edit: I just realized how old this thread is, sheesh.
At least you gave him a reply which is more than the other 583 (active membership minus one) of us did.

At least you gave him a reply which is more than the other 583 (active membership minus one) of us did.

LOL yea it's cool though. I was just trying to get this done as fast as I could for her. I started the long process already. I've found that if you have a bunch of plants it cylces faster. I got a tank done in 2 weeks just by filling it with plants. Thanks for the reply though.

Good for you for being there for your niece!!
I hope you can continue to be close with her.

It sounds like you already have some fish experience. Be careful with live plants, make sure you get plants that are truly aquatic (not the terrestrial house plants sometimes sold as live plants) and that you get enough light on them. Cryptocorynes, Jave moss and ferns, and water sprite (among others) are easier than some of the Amazon Swords etc.

A new tank can be hard on plant too, and rotting plants will cause damage in a tank much like rotting fish. Do not overcrowd the tank, and pick easy, hardy fish. Instruct you niece how (how much) to feed the fish. If the tank is unheated, Paradise fish are great, hardy fish (males will fight much like their betta relatives). If heated, "blue" guoramis are hardy and colorful. Zebra danios are also relatively easy (they like some water circulation), lots of other good choices too.

Good luck, and bless you for trying to make her life a little happier!!

This is an ancient post, and I don't know if the original starter of this thread will actually even read this, but the following is some crucial information:

1. CYCLING IS INEVITABLE--- buying "special" water won't expedite the time, R/O, Spring water, established aquarium water from your local fish store, all need to undergo the long *** cycling process because the beneficial bacteria grow on the filter (and also exist on the gravel)

2. "Cycle" products are pure scam, and have been debunked online for ages. (a simple google search will prove this), virtually nothing out there "instantly cycles" your tank....

3..... WITH THE EXCEPTION OF "Bio Spira", a liquid packet sold by Marineland, which contains LIVE bacteria, and will virtually INSTANTLY cycle your tank. You need to buy it from a reputed hole-in-the-wall local fish store where the owner is truly dedicated to fish- because this product HAS TO BE CONSTANTLY REFRIGERATED---- even during the shipping process, the owner should receive Bio Spira from the truck in a mini fridge, then quickly rush inside with the products and throw them in his fridge. Bio Spira can be expensive, anywhere from $15 to $25 for the smallest packet (which treats 30 gallons). Google Bio Spira online, and research it zealously if you are curious about it- I did, and I fervently called local fish stores until BAM! found a place that sells it.

fishless cycling, fishy cycling, or bio spira?

i may have opted for fishless cycling but I seriously could not find pure ammonia, nor had the time to drive places to purchase it, and test the aquarium tank daily for weeks-- instead, I spent $15 on Biospira, saved hours of time for $15 (well worth the investment, TIME IS MONEY folkz, hahah), and virtually instantly cycled my tank, if you count one-and-a-half days!!!! (i still performed mad tests)

Back