What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how do I take care of snails?

I have a 3 gallon bowl that I had some aqutic utrics in but they died rather quickly.
anyway, they came with some common freshwater snails and I have just left the bowl alone for them to live in. now the bowl is green with algea and otherwise nasty.
I have tried putting them in my 10 gallon fishtank, but they never seem to survive.
what I need to know is how do I keep them alive in my 10 gallon tank. are there some supplements I need to add to the water. I use r/o water for the fishtank.
thanks,
Zero:)

I think you just had some bad luck. They thrive in an ordinary fishtank setting. Provide light for algae and they should do fine. Is the filter media being used "seasoned"? If not, then their waste products are killing them (ammonia poisoning). So the first thing you want to do is get the tank through the Nitrogen Cycle successfully. Try one snail and let it produce only a minimal amount of waste, just to cycle the tank.

i would think to test your water to see if any of ur ammonia/nitrate lvls are high, and have some form of airator to circulate the water

i hope that can help?

Back