What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My newly restocked aquarium...

vft guy in SJ

VFT and Drosera lover
As some of you already know, I recently converted my aquarium over from goldfish to African Cichlids. After years of having big fat goldfish just cruising back and forth, I now have 11 little speed demons in there running around like children on a playground.

I put in 3-Electric Blue Johanni (Melanochromis johannii), 2- Likoma Island Elongatus (Pseudotropheus elongatus), 1- Cobalt Blue (Maylandia callainos), 1 Auratus (Melanochromis auratus), 1 Bumblebee (Pseudotropheus crabro), and 3- Yellow Tail Acei (Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei").

Here are a few pics of the tank and its new inhabitants :)

Cheers,
Steve

First up is a shot of the tank itself. Its a 55 gallon and I custom made the stand myself (being a cabinetmaker does have its advantages hehe.)

Here is Likoma Island Elongatus (male)

Here is the female Likoma Island Elongatus

These next 2 are the Yellow Tail Acei (first pic is male 2nd is female)

The next 2 are Electric Blue Johannii (I believe that both of these are males)

And finally here is the Cobalt Blue (male)

Nice set-up and fish! I can see you did you homework based on the way you have those rocks positioned. I used to have a Electric Blue cichlids (Sciaenochromis fryeri). I used to breed Jewel cichlids and trade them to local petstores for credit. I used to have them by the hundreds. Those tanks now have cps in them.

I was working toward saving up to raise Tropheus duboisi cichlids in a huge, rock-filled tank. Those were "the" cichlids to breed back in the 90's. There was a huge supply/demand problem back then, I am not sure how it turned out. I ended up getting too busy for fish and switched to plants, thinking that they would be a less demanding hobby.

Very nice.

The johanni are especially attractive!

These next 2 are the Yellow Tail Acei (first pic is male 2nd is female)

Will they breed regularly or do they have to be in certain conditions in captivity?

I ended up getting too busy for fish and switched to plants, thinking that they would be a less demanding hobby.

LOL, Dave!

xvart.

Will they breed regularly or do they have to be in certain conditions in captivity?

I hope so. From what I understand they do breed readily in captivity. Right now they are still too young I think to breed but with any good luck they will in the future.

The johanni are especially attractive!

Thanks! They are my favorites as well :)

I ended up getting too busy for fish and switched to plants, thinking that they would be a less demanding hobby.

Hehehe ooohhhhkayyyyyy let me know how that turns out eh? lol

I really didn't do too much homework to be honest. I do know from past experience that cichlids like rocky formations so thats why I went with a bunch of rock frags for decorations. In the next few weeks I may add a few more pieces. I want to make sure that I don't run into trouble down the line as they vie for territory.

Cheers
Steve

Back