What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An aqauarium idea/Help : )

Well I have a 55 gallon tank with water an airstone,grate,preset aquarium heater set to 78F and CPs. Now if I make the water up to the grate almost then add aquarium gravel then some free floating small tropical oxygenating plants.
What fish could I keep in those temps if I kept the water clean,well changed and so on. The water will be acidic though since there will be some runoff
Could I keep some easy aquatic bladderworts that like heat maybe with the fish(whatever fish goldfish whatever likes warm but is hardy)
I just thought I could make it look cool like add some glass beads into the jars with water then some gravel,fish and cool fish.
Thanks
Josh M
Picture001.jpg

There is the tank,keep in mind the water will be up to the grate almost,
oh well from what I read betta like the warm water since my heater is a no thermostat that is preset to 78 and betta like that temp. So the Ph is the problem I could add a try to keep the light run off of cp water. Then I could keep the water at 7 or so with Ph strips and so on.

Your 2 main problem problems, from most important to least, are:

1. Lack of circulation.
Keep in mind that the only reason the air stone "oxygenates" the water is because it causes some small amounts of water to rise to the surface with the bubbles. The more water that is disturbed on the surface, the more dissolved oxygen your water will have in it. Water that doesn't have a lot of dissolved oxygen won't hurt your plants, but it can potentially kill fish.

2. Lack of places for nitrifying bacteria to colonize.
There will be a large amount of ammonia in your water from extra fish food, the fishes' "respiration", etc. You need nitrifying bacteria (specifically nitrosomonas and nitrobacter) to oxidize that ammonia into nitrite and then from nitrite to the far less toxic nitrate, which would need to be removed through water changes. These bacteria need a surface to colonize, they are no free floating in the water column. Generally, this surface is provided in the various media in an aquarium filter. Having aquatic plants would remove trace amounts of ammonia and nitrites/nitrates but you would still have to change the water every once in a while, a pain in the *** when there are plants sitting on top of the water column.

If you are willing to change the water every couple weeks or so (be honest with yourself here), a betta fish, B. splendens, might be a way out of most of these issues. They don't respire as much as other fish, and can tolerate poor water quality. As for the problem with dissolved oxygen, betta fish are anabantids, meaning that they have a labyrinth organ in their head. The labyrinth organ allows them to take oxygen from the atmosphere (the air), as well as oxygen provided through water passing over their gills. Feed no more than 4 or 5 of the tiny pellets a day, or you will be overfeeding and thus create more waste in the tank.

The temperature won't be an issue as long as it doesn't drop too far below 70 degrees, and the Ph won't be an issue unless it gets down below 5, which it won't.

Sorry for the long explanation but it sounds like you don't have a whole lot of aquarium knowledge. Good luck!

Fish don't do well in RO water :(

Your water will get "dirty" quickly with the run off through the pots.

xvart.

I would be using my well water has some nutrients that makes the water taste good.
I would add trays to keep in the water since runoff would create Ph problems maybe.

Back