What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drift wood won't sink

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
I wanted to put a piece of drift wood into my fish tank but it won't sink. I thought it was the same kind you can buy at pet stores and those sink! I put it in water and weighed it down with a rock for over 2 days, but when I checked on it, it still floated when I took the rock off. Can I do anything to make it sink?

I think it takes longer than two days for wood to saturate. Keep trying perhaps? Or cut a discrete hole in it and attach some rocks with aquarium-safe epoxy.
~Joe

Do you have anything you could try tying it to on the bottom of the tank?

I was thinking of tying it to some rocks with fishing line. Is fishing line safe in a tank?

Ok so I did what I posted above. Hopefully it will sink on it's own soon.

Ok so I did what I posted above. Hopefully it will sink on it's own soon.
You could be waiting for a long time...

If you have the tools - get a piece of slate, drill 1-2 holes in it & attach the slate to the driftwood with stainless screws.

You're right, I'm still waiting. I checked it on Sunday and it still floats, lol. But it's no problem because it's being weighed down by a rock, it works really well and the fish love it :)

All's well that ends well, I guess. My only concern would be that the rock might be disturbed and accidentally allow the wood to float up suddenly. You may want to take precautions against it damaging the tank, especially any lids/light fixtures above. Violently bobbing wood doesn't present much danger to fish, but falling broke glass is another story...
Best luck,
~Joe

Back