What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water temp

• Thread starter Trapper7
  • Start date

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
When I do a partial water change, how do I make sure the temperature of the new water is the same as the water in the tank? Should I go out and buy another thermometer?

It depends, is your water heated?
If it's heated, buy another heater, put it in the new water, and set it to the correct temp.

If not, get the temp of the new water as close as you can to the temp of the tank water when you get it from the sink. Then just leave the water in the same room as the tank for an hour or two. Make sure you feel the water with your fingers to ensure them temperatures are similar. This is what I do and it always seems to work; I have never taken the temperature of the new water. (I've had my tank for about 3 years)

Thanks theyellowdart .Yes my tank is heated. Can't I just get the sink water to the right temp by adding/subracting, hot or cold water?

All I do is feel the tank water and try to get the sink water the closest that I can. My fish have never been bothered by it. Just try not to put water with an extremely different temperature in. With picky or sensitive fish it might be good to use another heater though.

I also have another question. My water temp fluctuates. In the mornings it's at 75-78 and in the daytime it goes to 82. Why? Do I just not know how to use my heater? How can I keep it at 75 and not have it go up? The heater is not on at the moment and it's at 82 right now. I thought when the heater is on and the water reaches the right temp, you turn the heater just enough so the light goes off. Am I doing it wrong? Thanks!

Thanks theyellowdart .Yes my tank is heated. Can't I just get the sink water to the right temp by adding/subracting, hot or cold water?

Yes, you could do that too. I just thought the extra heater would give you a more exact temp.

Thanks again, theyellowdart and MidnightSkies.

Anyone have an answer for my other question?

"I also have another question. My water temp fluctuates. In the mornings it's at 75-78 and in the daytime it goes to 82. Why? Do I just not know how to use my heater? How can I keep it at 75 and not have it go up? The heater is not on at the moment and it's at 82 right now. I thought when the heater is on and the water reaches the right temp, you turn the heater just enough so the light goes off. Am I doing it wrong? Thanks! "

What kind of heater are you using? Some heaters work better at keeping steady temperatures than others. You most likely have a dial on it that you can turn to the temperature you want it at. Are you turning the temperature dial while the heater is on so that it goes off? I'm not exactly sure what you mean there.

I can't find the package it came in, but it says ELITE on the heater, it may be by Hagen, I'm not sure, but the nob only says "higher" or "lower" on it, so it doesn't have a set temp I can turn it to. This is what I thought I had to do: To get the temp higher, turn the nob right (higher direction) and when it reaches the temp you want it at according to your thermometer, then turn the nob left (lower direction) just enough so the light goes off. Then it should stay at the temp you want it at. Mine doesn't. I'm trying to find the type of heater I have on the web, but I can't so far. I'm obviously using it wrong, can someone help me? Will this hurt my fish? I heard water temp changes can cause Ick and that's what happened with the first fish I had and they all died. I don't want it to happen again!

I don't think I've ever seen a heater that was set by just "higher or lower." Since it got to 82 I would definitely try turning it down slighty and let it turn off on it's own to make sure that it actually does. Some heaters decide to make fish soup by just never turning off. Watch it closely to make sure it doesn't cook your fish. As far as I know though you shouldn't have to turn the dial every time the heater turns on. If it isn't working properly I would invest in a new heater. What size tank do you have? A light could be heating up the water as well, especially if it's a small tank. Temp fluctuations do stress fish which makes them at a higher risk for diseases. It doesn't cause anything itself though.

It's a ten gallon, and the light is off all night and then I turn it on in the morning, so I'm sure that makes the temp go up. I had the same heater in Canada, it only had "higher" "lower" arrows on it. It's off right now, and the temp still goes up to 82 because I turn the light on, so I can't turn it any lower because it's already off. I don't turn the dial every time the heater turns on, just when it's reached the right temp. I don't know what to do, except get a new heater.

I would probably get a new heater just to hopefully get rid of the headache. If you do, make sure it's one that you can set a temp on. I would personally reccomend Visi-Therm Stealth. I've seen them at Petco recently for around $23 for a 25W one. I also have a 10 gallon and I've never noticed my light even make the temp go up by 1 degree. You could very well have a different light, possibly sunlight, and different room temp, but I think it would help to get a heater that you don't have to constantly monitor and that you can set and know what it's at.

I dont bother to even check or adjust the temp of the "new" water going into the tank..
but it depends on how large your tank is, and how much water you are replacing.
If you have a 10 gallon tank are relpacing 50% of the water, adjusting the temp of the new would probably be a good idea..otherwise, dont bother.

(also..if you have a 10 gallon, consider upgrading! ;)
10 gallon tanks are really too small for a stable environment..
If I were king of the universe, I would make 29 gallon tanks the absolute minimum allowed,
and even though im not king of the universe, IMO "goldfish bowls" should be illegal, and considered animal abuse..
but I digress..)

I have a 28 gallon tank, and I replace 5 gallons when I do a water change,
so thats about 20%..

I simply let the "new" water sit in a bucket for 24 hours, to dispell chlorine to to warm to room temp.
then I do the water change (siphon and all that)
then dump in the 5 gallons!
yes, its at "room temp" and is usually slightly cooler than the tank water,
(which I think I keep around 78 degrees..I havent checked the temp in years)

IMO, its "close enough" and the fish have never seemed to mind..
in fact, the angelfish love to swim in the stream of new water as I pour it in!

Scot

Thanks to both of you!

I can't upgrade even though I want to. I have no room (or the money, even if it is only $100) for a larger tank.

I'm almost positive the problem is not the heater. It is natural temperature fluctuations. If the temperature in your house goes up, the temperature of the tank water will go up as well; the two are almost always directly related.
Unfortunately, the only real solution is to buy a $200+ amqaurium chiller, which I'm sure you probably won't want to do.
So in my honest opinion, that fluctuation is nothing to worry about. A few degrees won't do any harm unless you have some ridiculously difficult to care for fish. My tank experiances fluctuations of sometimes over 6 or 7 degrees during the winter.

One thing you can try to do is move the tank out of any possible sunlight (that is, if it is recieving sunlight) or away from any heater or air conditioning vents.

Good luck and have fun!
Matt

Thanks theyellowdart. I have a Betta and a Dwarf Pleco, I think both are hardy fish, but I could be wrong. The temp never goes above 82. I was just worried that the constant change in temp will cause Ick.

Just an update on this thread. I did buy another heater, an adjustable one and I have it set for 76F and it STILL goes up to 83F (sometimes almost to 85F)! I really don't know what to do about it, I just hope the fish don't get sick because of it. I was hoping an adjustable one would work, but I guess I just wasted my money getting a new heater :(

That's odd... unless your home is that warm all the time. I seriously doubt you'd keep it that high, though. You're from Canada (and a Hungarian Goulash!). Maybe do an even exchange on another heater?

If the temps go up too high, try wrapping an ice pack around part of the tank for a minute as a last ditch effort.
It usually works on my tank.

Trapper,
you had already determined that the temp fluctuation was not because of the heater..it was because of the lights..so why did you get a new heater to solve the problem that wasn't caused by the old heater?

Can you move the lights farther away from the tank? or are they built into the hood?

if they are built into the hood, you should use lower wattage lights, or leave the lights on for less time..or both..

personally I would do both..you dont have live plants in the tank right?
the fish dont care about the brightness of the lights..

if you have incandescents, can you switch to fluorescents?
they give off much less heat..
if your lights are raising the temp that high that fast, you have WAY more light than you need..

what kind of bulbs are in the hood?
incandescents?
what wattage and how many?
and how long do you leave them on each day?

Scot

Back