What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bolivian rams and planted tanks

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
Will bolivian rams nip at, tear, shred, uproot, move, or otherwise inflict harm upon aquarium plants?

I was thinking of getting a couple for my planted tanks and wanted to know what to expect. I've had an oscar and a severum many yrs ago and remember how they were with even artificial plants (which I strongly dislike, but tried anyway).

Thanks.

I haven't had them bother them, but I've only had them around short term in stores I've worked at. They seem pretty content to leave plants alone.

That's good news!

So they do exist in stores... No one around here has them. It's looking like I'm going to have to order them in. Shipping is an arm and a leg.

Thanks.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding them. You can even check your local Petco. The sell them under the name Ruby Clown Cichlid, I think. At least the one here they do. They've got some nice size to them, too. If they don't have them in stock currently, they should be able to order them for you, too.

I've checked petco, petsmart, and paws & claws. None at all. Petco only had the blue rams. And they looked really sorry. Either they were too young to show their colors, or not content, because they were very dull gray.

A couple places are supposed to be checking for me to see if they can get them. Likely won't be able to get a pair like I want though. Probably just luck of the draw.

I have an update.

I did find a pet shop that can get them, but they are too small to be sexed. So it would be luck of the draw.

The question I have is, how many would I have to start out with to likely get a pair? And of course, they are domestic and not wild caught... more of a chance that their parenting instincts are gone.

If I were to get enough so that I would likely get a pair, what do I do with the extras? Would anyone here want them?

Here are the percentages a dart frog breeder gives for obtaining pairs out of a given number of individuals
1 - 0%
2 - 50%
3 - 75%
4 - 88%
5 - 94%
6 - 97%
7 - 98%
8 - 99%

I believe they'll still retain their parenting instincts. No problems there.

As for what to do with the others, you can either keep them in other tanks, to provide spare breeders in case something happens with the original pair, or you can try trading them to some local pet shops for either merchandise, livestock, or credit.

>or you can try trading them to some local pet shops for either merchandise, livestock, or credit.>

I asked about that. They only give 1/3 credit of the original price... even if they grow and are then worth more.

Great idea about keeping the spares, but unfortunately, so many fish - so little space.

Thanks for the percentages! That helps a lot! Gives me something to plan with.

Back