What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goldfish!!!

Hi guys....Just another question....Considering i have green algae on the rocks of my aquarium and just some small dots of algae on the glass..Do they actually provide anything to the fish??? Food?? Oxygen??

Hi,
Actually the algae produce a little of oxy gen but too much will kill the fish in the night they will take all oxygen in the night so remove them by hands.

Hi,
Actually the algae produce a little of oxy gen but too much will kill the fish in the night they will take all oxygen in the night so remove them by hands.

a few tiny algae spots will NEVER consume enough oxygen at night to suffocate fish..
it cant happen..you really need totally green water, millions of algae plants in the water itself, so that you cant even SEE the fish..maybe then the fish would suffocate at night..maybe..
algae on the glass alone will never, ever, suffocate fish..

Kento,
the algae spots are fine..they have zero benefit, but also do zero harm..
remove them if you want, but you dont have to..
most people scrape off the algae after it builds up for awhile..

Scot

Hi guys....Just another question....Considering i have green algae on the rocks of my aquarium and just some small dots of algae on the glass..Do they actually provide anything to the fish??? Food?? Oxygen??

actually..build up of "gunk" on the rocks is a good thing!
because its not just algae..its also a big part of the tanks "bio filter"..

the bio filter is all the beneficial bacteria that lives in the tanks filter media, but also on every surface in the tank..on all the gravel, on the glass, on rocks, on plants..etc..

when you clean the filter, you should only rinse out the filter media in the bucket of old tank water from the water change..never rinse it out in tap water, because the chlorine will kill the bacteria..

yes, technically the build up on the glass can be considered part of the tank's bio filter..
but its such a small amount, that cleaning the glass does not harm the overall balance of the tank..

but I wouldnt bother to ever clean rocks..all that nice green-brown biological buildup is beneficial to the balance of the tank..its not literal food for the fish, but it still helps them by neutralizing the ammonia they excrete..

also, when you clean the gravel, you should only use the gravel vaccum to remove the big solid chunks of waste (mostly fish excrement)..there is no need to ever physically remove the gravel from the tank and clean it..
My planted tank has been running for 15 years now..I have never once removed the gravel..I only vaccum it..the bio filter also lives on every particle of gravel in the substrate..

If you are using a Under Gravel Filter (UGF) then you have more serious cleaning issues..
but hopefully UGF's are slowly going extinct..please dont use one..they are no good.

the only exception to this "beneficial buildup" on tank surfaces is blue-green algae..which is a bad thing and needs to be removed (killed)..but you will know if you have that..it forms gunky green mats that grow all over everything..its obvious..

but if you just have a thin layer of stuff coating the rocks, that doesnt actually grow in long strands out into the water..then that is fine..and actually a good thing.

if you have *pretty* rocks you want to keep clean, so you can see the surface of the rocks, it wont *hurt* anything to keep them scrubbed off..but its not necessary either.

Scot

Indiana gardner: i like the idea of a pond indoors, but that's just asking for trouble (I work in insurances), and boy would i LOVE to get that claim, '' so i have water damage'' ... 'why sir' ... ''oh, well i made an indoor pond in my living room, and the wall caved'' LOL

My fish was die because algae ! they kill my fish in the night and kill my weed so I really hate them but can't stop them grow they grow too fast !

My fish was die because algae ! they kill my fish in the night and kill my weed so I really hate them but can't stop them grow they grow too fast !

I can guarentee you, 100% without any question, that is was not algae that killed your fish..
not directly anyway..I dont know what it was, but I do know it wasnt algae..

sounds like you might have had a blue-green algae infestation..
in which case it *still* wasnt the algae, directly, that killed the fish..
it was toxic/dirty water that both killed the fish and encouraged the algae infestation..

"blue-green algae" is a misnomer..its not true algae..
its actually a form of bacteria.."cyanobacteria"
cyanobacteria, by itself, is not deadly..but it can be if it causes the tank to get too polluted..if its not treated soon enough, or if its allowed to get too out of control..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanobacteria..

it forms slimy green mats and tendrils, the mats of green gunk often have bubbles in them..

did it look like this?

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/images/thumb/4/4c/Cyanobacteria1.jpg/250px-Cyanobacteria1.jpg

http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/060801.JPG

http://naturalaquariums.com/plantedtank/060802.JPG

Scot

Indiana gardner: i like the idea of a pond indoors, but that's just asking for trouble (I work in insurances), and boy would i LOVE to get that claim, '' so i have water damage'' ... 'why sir' ... ''oh, well i made an indoor pond in my living room, and the wall caved'' LOL

The #1 thing would be to watch how much weight you have; water weighs 8.35 Lbs per gallon and there's 7.5 gal to 1 cubic foot. It would really be best on a poured concrete basement floor.

I suppose the other concern would be a leak, but that can happen with anything. My grandparents' water line to the ice maker in their fridge broke earlier this yr. It ran into the next room and ruined the carpet, padding, and part of the floor. That was nothing compared to what happened to the newly finished basement rooms in my aunt and uncle's house when their sump pump went out due to an electrical outage during a storm.

Just be sure to not let anything sharp near the liner. No greater risk there than a fish tank leaking. Been there, had that... Really the only thing that can hurt those liners is UV exposure (not really a problem indoors) and sharp objects. Other things are far more likely to go wrong before a hole just appears in a thick EPDM liner.

Aside from that, the only other thing would just be structural failure of the framing. It has to be beefy, no nails or screws for the main framing on that. Bolts only.

Yes is it I look like it but black !

Back