What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killifish - Starting Over

• Thread starter Clue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    offer

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
I used to keep quite a lot of species of killifish. Eight or nine species at once. However, I figured that rearing the young was quite an investment of time, so I enjoyed the adults for the last time around two years ago. Since then, I've enjoyed rearing some other oddball freshwater fish, but I can't deny it. I miss killifish-ing.

And today, I got an offer for some Aphyosemion austale (once one of my favorites) eggs (Thanks again) ! :boogie: So I started doing something that I'm quite familiar with: assembling the tank. I started off by re-assembling the sponge filter, getting a thin layer of gravel, put in the peat, let it settle, and I'm just about ready.

BUUUUUT: I forgot all about how to rear them from eggs to breeding adults. The CPs have really gotten to my head. :rolleyes: So, how do I attempt this, and does anyone have any tips for the species?

Welcome back to the world of killies. I would put the fry in a small tank with some java moss and snails. I use 2.5g all glass bare bottom tanks without filters. Feed with live baby brine shrimp at least twice daily. Change half the water every few days. You should be able to wean the young fish onto frozen blood worms by three to four weeks of age. At that time they should be moved to larger quarters.

If you would like to dabble with annual killies, shoot me PM as that is all I raise these days (despite my avitar)....I should be able to hook you up with some eggs.

Duane

A. australes were my faves too! So cute and unafraid of me. They'd keep on spawning while I pruned the plants in my 75 gallon tank.

Place the eggs in an 8 or 16 ounce deli cup and they should maybe hatch in a couple of weeks. Then use a dropper to get them into another container or maybe just another 16 or 32 ounce deli container, with some java moss and start to feed some baby brine shrimp. Once they are of size, I would get them in a 5.5 or 10 gallon tank to "grow out" to breeding size.

Good luck. If you want some pairs of the orange australe, let me know. I have some extras right now.

Ryan

Back